Chapter 5

"I replaced your gamma chips, so try your ankles out", Pidge said. He put down the screwdriver, and watched with unmasked interest as Azalea's feet became encased in thick black metal scales. The metal formed itself into a pair of black combat boots. Azalea's jaw dropped.

"Yes! Thank you SOOOOO MUCH!!", Azalea squealed, running through the air.

"Shhhh, before someone hears us!", Hunk frantically whispered.

Azalea ran right towards Pidge, and scooped him up in her arms, grinning and spinning in midair.

Pidge laughed, "You're welcome!"

Her long ponytail flew into his face.
The scent of flowers overwhelmed his senses.
She was so exited, but her hug was so.... gentle...... and warm.

If she controls gravity, he thought, then maybe she has her own gravitational pull of some sort. That would explain why hugs calm her, and the flowery smell.

"Hey, whatcha guys doing?", a voice asked.

Oh no.

It's Lance.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The voice startled her so badly, she dropped Pidge and ran right back under the table.

"I, Azalea, am the biggest idiot alive!", she scolded herself.
How could she be so stupid as to get overwhelmed like that? Now she has attracted attention.

"Woah Pidge, when did you learn to fly like that?", a male voice, not Hunk's, asked.

"I-I didn't....", Pidge admitted.

"Then what was that?"

"We don't know what you're talking about, Lance", Hunk said quickly.

"Then what is...", Lance's voice trailed off.

Azalea's heart felt like it was about to burst out of her chest. She hugged her knees and painstakingly listened to the footsteps gradually came closer.

"Are you working an under-the-table operation or something?"

She lifted her head, and came face-to-face with a young man.
He had short chestnut hair and tanned skin.

Azalea held his brown eyes for a moment, fearful, before slowly shaking her head.

This is it.

Lance broke into a crooked grin.

"Well then....", he smirked, "Are you a thief? Cause I think you just stole my heart, pretty lady."

A moment of silence passed between the four of them.

Then Azalea burst into a laughing fit, hugging her sides in a failed attempt to control her breathing.

Lance turned on his knees to face Pidge and Hunk.

"Was it something I said?"

Hunk was trying to stifle a laugh himself, watching Azalea on the floor.

Pidge sighed.
"Everything, Lance. It was everything you just said."

Lance chuckled, "Well I never got that reaction before."

"Well you've never seen a girl like that before."

"Whaddya mean?"

"Say hello to Hunk's refugee, Azalea the Nightmare. ", Pidge said, shooting a smirk at Hunk.

Azalea was on her back, breathing heavily, a stupid grin plastered on her face.

"Air!", she gasped.
Wow... I haven't laughed that hard in years, she thought brightly.

"It's nice to meet you, my flower", Lance smiled.

"Thanks", Azalea smiled back.
She gave him a hug.

Thank you for making me truly laugh.

"You smell nice too", Lance whispered, hugging her back.

Azalea chuckled.