Chapter 66

Nightmare felt alive.

She was powerful. Fearsome.

Everything sane, everything she was ever taught about controlling herself, simply disappeared.

With simple flicks of the wrist, she sent the shards of metal spiraling towards Marina. Marina dodged them quickly and charged at her.

They began throwing blows.
Nightmare blocked nearly every hit Marina threw at her, then hooked her in the jaw, sending Marina through another wall.

Marina tackled her and knocked her over.

Marina might be fast. She might be an experiment too.

But Nightmare was faster.

Nightmare was nearly indestructible.

A feral snarl ripped from her throat as she pounced on Marina. She scratched Marina across the face, drawing blood.

Marina threw Nightmare off of her again.

But Nightmare attacked once more, landing bone-crushing blow after blow on her sister.

Nightmare grabbed Marina by the hair and hissed in her face.
"How does it feel to be dying? To be helpless and weak as your most loved family member kills you?"

She drove her head into the floor, leaving a massive crater.

"It doesn't feel good, does it?!", she roared.

Marina laughed, and spit out blood.
"I never loved you, you waste.  You're the reason Mom died. The reason we were even on that ship in the first place."

Marina kicked Nightmare in the chest, causing her to stagger long enough to attack.

She grabbed the long dagger and lunged at Nighmare.

Marina's face was inches away from Nightmare.

Nightmare looked down at the dagger hilt that protruded from her chest.

Marina had impaled her.

Nightmare laughed, startling Marina.

"Do you think that's really going to stop me?", she asked sarcastically. She pulled it out and grabbed Marina's throat.

Nightmare slammed Marina repeatedly into the ground, over and over and over.

Marina groaned, barely able to lift her eyelids.

Nightmare leaned in to Marina's ear.
"Goodbye, sister", she whispered, "I still love you."

Everything. All the memories. Marina taking Azalea by the hand to her first day of school. Marina singing her little sister a lullaby while she played her guitar. Them chasing fireflies through the deep Oregeon forests. Azalea hugging Marina with joy when her sister was accepted to the Garrison.

All those memories. Good and bad.

Nightmare saw them flash in Marina's eyes.

And she watched them fade away when she slit her throat, ending Marina once and for all.

Nightmare sighed.

"I will always love you, sister..."