Chapter 6

"Hey!", Hunk called Lance over, "Did you do it?"

Lance waved his hand in dismissal, "Pft, been done that. Got some spare clothes from the storage room."

"Okay... good", Hunk sighed in nervous relief.

Hunk had Lance swear up and down that he wouldn't tell anyone else about Azalea yet.

"Don't worry", Lance had reassured him, "The little flower is safe with me."

Somehow Hunk didn't find that reassuring at all.

What if this doesn't go well?, he fretted, What if this goes the OPPOSITE of well?!?

"Hunk and Lance, please report to the front pilot bay", Coran's voice came over the intercom.

Hunk took a deep breath.
Here goes nothing.....

~~~~~~~~~~~

Keith was called in to the pilot bay.
Apparently this was important enough to wake him up.

He yawned.

"Okay...", Hunk started nervously, "The old chief was right. About the Nightmare"

"How? Something like that is virtually impossible", Coran stated, twirling his mustache. Allura nodded in agreement.

"The Nightmare? ", Shiro asked in disbelief.

"Not exactly. But... yeah. I ran into her. She helped me off of the ship?", Hunk admitted.

She?
This supposed monster is a girl?

"Who is she?", Allura asked, interested now. Her eyes lit up.

"Ask her yourself, Princess", Pidge replied.

A screen lit up on the front controls.

Keith stared right at the face of a pale young woman.
She had wide black eyes that made her look paler than what she already was. Grey hair the color of a rain cloud  was pulled into a ponytail and hung across her left shoulder; long bangs covering the right side of her face. Pale freckles stretched across her nose, and thin lips were pressed together in a hard line. She was wearing a grey and lavender pilot's jacket, and the turtleneck of a sweater could be seen poking out of the collar.

She looks nervous,  Keith observed.
The woman gave a small smile and waved.

"Hello", she said. She had a soft voice.

"Hello there", Allura replied.
Coran and Shiro wore shocked expressions.

Keith furrowed his eyebrows.

"Who are you?", Shiro asked, snapping out of his daze, "Where are you from?"

"Just tell us your story, dear", Coran added politely.

The woman closed her eyes for a moment, then opened them again.

"My name is Azalea Korraine. I am the Nightmare. I swear I mean no one harm.
I'm seventeen.... I think. I forgot my birthday.
I was on my Dad's ship with my mom and older sister Marina. I was eleven at the time.
These huge ships boarded us, and took us as prisoners."

This is the Nightmare? A delicate- looking girl?

Is this a joke?

Azalea continued, "On the ship.... I was told that I was a long lost experiment. My entire life I was told was a lie. I was actually born on a Galra ship, to a human prisoner. My father was waiting for me. He said that I had great power, and he would help me unlock it.
A witch named Haggar had me injected with three planets worth of quintessence.

That is how I have my gift."

"What gift?", Allura prodded.

"I have the ability to manipulate gravity and basic physical forces.  A downside to that is that I'm handicapped. Gravity has no affect on me, and Haggar's druids had to install special devices on me just so I could move again.
Two years after my capture, my father ordered for me to be placed in solitary confinement. He said that I was untrustworthy. I stayed in there, moving as a prisoner from ship to ship.
Then I managed to escape one of my escorts, who were trying to take me off of the ship. I found Hunk, lost, and I helped him off of the ship."

"Are there any more like you?"

"With my powers? No.
Other hybrids however, yes. Two. Starlin and Ferin. I've only met Starlin once, and for a very short time. I've never met Ferin.
I was apart of the Korraine experiment.
They were others. We didn't socialize much."

Allura and Azalea's eyes met, and for a moment it seemed that they knew what questions were next.

"Azalea, where is your Mother and sister?"

Azalea looked as if she were about to cry, "My mother was executed. Marina was killed in a gladiator fight. She didn't stand a chance against the monster."

She's saying it as if it were her fault, Keith noted.

"And where are you now?"

Azalea's eyes widened, and landed on a certain paladin in the back of the room.

Everyone turned to face Hunk.

"She might be in a closet... on the ship", he shamefully admitted,  looking at his feet.

On the ship?! This thing, girl, whatever is ON THE SHIP?!

Hunk looked up, and met the  gaze of Shiro's glare.

"Hunk, you said there were no prisoners", he reprimanded.

"She's not dangerous...."

Azalea waved her arms, "No, please! He did it for my sake. Every planet who hears of me always spread these nasty rumors about me! I was afraid, and he decided to help!"

"Anything else we need to know, Hunk?", Allura snapped.

"She likes hugs", Pidge added, "They calm her down."

What has this place come to?!

"Alright", Shiro said. He turned to Azalea, "Welcome aboard the castle, Miss Korraine."

Keith wanted to protest, but thought it'd be better if he stayed quiet.

"Really?", she asked exitedly. She grinned, revealing that every tooth ended in a small point.
"Holy cow, I can't believe it!!"

Lance, Pidge, and Hunk whooped and hollered in celebration.

Even Shiro, Allura, and Coran were smiling.

Keith groaned under his breath. He ran a hand through his hair and yawned again.

I was woken up for some hybrid chick the others snuck on board.