Chapter 45

Why haven't I been able to find him all day?, Azalea wondered.
He kisses me, then just runs off into the blue of Jaspen. Almost as if he's trying to avoid me suddenly.

She closed her eyes and located the lake, then took off towards it. Her boots left lingering streaks of faded yellow in the air where she ran.

As soon as she saw him on the shore of the lake, she wanted to fly across the water and spill her heart out. Instead, she stopped in her tracks.

Keith sat on a rock twenty yards away, his face buried into his knees. Azalea could see his eyes peering out at the water above his kneecaps.

Why does it look like he's been crying?

'You would cry too if the girl you loved was destined to murder you, Ferin sneered.

Don't you ever shut up?

'Don't you ever listen?'

Touche

Worridly, the hybrid walked up behind him. She gently rested a hand on his shoulder.

"What are you doing here by yourself?", she asked quietly. The young man turned his head and narrowed his eyes at her.

"What are you doing here?", he spat. Azalea was tacked aback by his harsh tone.

"I've been looking for you all day", she explained. He turned away, quietly muttering "I don't see why."

"Have you been avoiding me?", she asked. The placid look on Keith's face confirmed her suspicion.

Her heart fell to the ground.

"Why?!", she demanded anxiously.

Keith suddenly stood up and looked her in the eyes. His eyes were red from crying, and his face was mixed with anger and mourning.

"You try telling someone that you've cared about them for a long time!", he shouted furiously, "You try having your heart ripped to pieces because the only person you loved got engaged to someone else!"

Azalea's eyes started welling up with tears.
"Boots, what are you talking about?!"

"I'm talking about your stupid engagement to Brenan! And even when you already stepped on my emotions, here you come pretending like nothing's wrong, wearing the stupid flower in your hair!"

Azalea stopped. She reached back and untwined the rose from her ribbon, looking at it. The dark blue petals looked even softer in the blue moonlight.

This... Was an engagement?

Brenan would've told me if it was.... Unless....

He didn't want me to know.

Azalea suddenly dropped the rose, letting it slip past her fingers as if it were poision.

Her heart wrenched in agony.

I- I hurt Keith.

Tears started streaming angrily down her face.

"Do you really think I would get engaged?!", she shouted back at Keith. Her hands balled into fists at her side. "Did I throw you into the wall when you kissed me? Did I break your jaw? Did I, in any way, show rejection?! No! I spent my entire afternoon hunting you down so I could tell you how I feel! You're the only person I've truly cared about in a long time, and I was ecstatic that my feelings were returned! I freaking love you Keith! I love you! I love how you're a soft person under your tough personality! I love your navy blue eyes! I love your little smirk! I love how you never give up! I love how you put everything aside to help keep me and my secret safe! You help me with my issues! You care about me more than anyone ever has! And I love you!"