Chapter 43

"Are you sure?", Allura asked the servant for what seemed like the hundredth time.

"This is unexpected", Shiro sighed, running a hand through his hair in thought.

"It is", Allura agreed, "An engagement?!"

Coran looked up from his control screen.
"Maybe she does love him?", he said reluctantly, "After all, they were prisoners together as children."

"But it's Azalea and Brenan", Allura fussed, "They just don't click! Or show any romantic emotions! So an engagement?!?"

"We don't know how Azalea really feels", Shiro said smoothly, "So we can't question her choice."

"But that means that when we leave, we must leave Azalea behind", the princess said worridly, wringing her hands.

"What?!"

Coran, Shiro, and Allura turned to see Keith in the doorway.

"Hey Kei-", Shiro started bit Keith quickly cut him off.

"We can't leave Azalea behind!", he protested, "Why would we do that anyways?"

Allura gasped.
"You haven't heard?"

Keith froze.
"Heard what?..."

"Azalea and Commander Brenan were engaged mere minutes ago", Coran confirmed.

Keith's face went blank. His shoulders stooped.
He glared at the floor, balling his hands into fists.

"Keith are you okay?", Shiro asked. He tried to place a reassuring hand on  the young Paladin's shoulder, but Keith jerked out of his grip.

"I'm perfectly fine", he grumbled through gritted teeth. Keith turned and stormed through the doorway.

"Oh dear...", Allura whispered sadly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keith yelled angrily. He punched the wall of his bedroom.

"Why?!", he raged. He punched the wall again.
"Why him?! Why did you choose him over me?!"

He kicked the wall and sat down on his bed, putting his face in his hands.

He felt hot tears shamefully stream down his cheeks. He was shaking with anger and sadness.

"I loved you...", he cried to the empty air.

"Why don't you love me back?..."