t w e n t y f o u r

Chapter 24

Claire's point of view

"Claire, we need to talk," i feel my heartbeat jump at his voice, as he grips tightly around the pen. He gestures for me to follow him down the hall, into what looks like his office. I see Harry in the corner of my eye, following me into the room.

"Please, sit down," he says, my rapid heartbeat making my head spin. I sit idly down on the uncomfortable chair.

"What's wrong?" Harry says, sitting down beside me and puts his hand on mine.

"I am gonna try and explain this in a way you'll understand, though you may not be fine with it," the doctor puts his hands together and looks straight at me.

"The hospital is over crowded," he begins, and looks down. I have an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach that doesn't seem to go away.

"This hospital is usually very busy, but with unsteady traffic in the sorting of rooms..." he stumbles over his formal words and i struggle to figure out what he means.

"Long story short, we have much more pressing cases to attend to, and... we don't have room for Louis," he speaks, finishing with his hands laid flat out on the table.

"Excuse me?" i mean to say it loudly, but my voice fails me and a broken whisper comes out of my mouth.

"Claire, we will certainly check up on-" he tries to defend his pathetic ruling, so i stop him.

"You're telling me, that you don't have room for a patient that was involved in a car accident yesterday? You have to be joking!" my voice builds as i'm talking, and the last sentence comes out as a shout.

"My brother is bruised from head to toe! And you're saying you don't have room for him?" I'm trying to search for more words to say, but i am at a loss. This is truly unbelievable.

"We will have a nurse sent home with him to take care of him. I'm sorry Claire, but my hands are tied, we can't hold him here any longer. I would like you to fetch your parents to sign this." he says apologetically, causing me to frantically run my fingers through my hair and exhale.

"What is it?" I say, looking down on the papers.

"It's just that they concur with you living with him, looking after him and such," he says.

"From what i understand, you are supposed to fly back to England in four days, but if they sign this, you can stay in the US till he is well,"

I nod along with his words and a sudden doubt enters my mind. I don't know if they will sign or not," I quickly take the piece of paper out of his hand and march out of his office. This isn't the only thing i want them to sign. After Louis is well, I still plan to go live with Harry. Not because i'm still mad at Louis, but i know that i don't want to come back to England. There's nothing for me to come back to. Being away from my parents the most i've ever been before has made me realize that there is a happier place for me... without them. I return to Louis' room and put the piece of paper with the pen in front of my parents.

"Mum, dad, please sign this," I say, and they look up at me with confused eyes. I notice Harry hasn't followed me back to the room, but he's probably just talking with the doctor about Louis' recovery and such.

I take a minute to explain to them what the agreement means, and their frown grows bigger with each word.

"Oh but Claire, we can't let you be here with no proper supervision," my dad argues.

"Oh and i'll proper supervision at home? I can't remember the last time you actually 'supervised' me properly, because you both are too busy arguing to pay attention or care about anything or anyone else," i say.