t w e n t y s i x

Chapter 26

Claire's point of view

When Harry sees me, he releases the girl and a frightened look spreads across his face. His hands were on her waist, seemingly gripping her pretty tight.

"Claire," he whispers, turning to me. I take a few seconds of the silence to realize what must have been happening here, turning my body numb. He begins to walk towards me, so back myself into the door, unable to turn around and open it.

He comes close, walking slowly and cautiously. I can't seem to blink or close my eyes, completely caught off guard by this situation. I take a second to look at the girl Harry was holding, and i recognize her face right away.

It's her. My mind immediately flashes back to when me and Michael were in my room about three years ago or so, flipping through pages of another tabloid magazine. Images of them together plastered all over. She looks at me with a mysterious look, and i'm unable to figure out if its kind or vicious.

"Wha-" i breathe out, my nauseous body struggling to hold itself up.

"What is going on?" my unsteady voice trembles, as i look into Harry's guilty eyes.

"This isn't what it looks like," his speaks with wide eyes, placing his hands on either side of my shoulders. My cheeks are still stiff with dried tears, and i open my mouth to say something, but nothing comes out.

She walks up to the two of us, stopping right at the door.

"I'll see you later Harry," she says before she walks out with her long legs.

"Please, i can explain," he holds my hands so tight that it hurts.

"Explain what?" i say weakly.

"Explain how for about ten seconds ago you were all over your ex girlfriend?" he seems almost panicked, his wide eyes almost scaring me.

"No, please Claire, i was pushing her away," he holds my hand against his chest, and i feel his rapid heartbeat.

"What? Why?" my confusion growing stronger by the second, i just wish i had stayed at Louis'.

"She..." he begins before interrupting himself by look down at the ground right before me.

"She kissed me," he admits and my heart falls to the ground. I stare at him, and silence fills the air for a minute as i process. She kissed him, right before i walked in.

"Did you kiss her back?" Even though i'm terrified of the answer, i decide to ask anyways. I have to know.

"N- No i didn't, i pushed her away, that's when you walked in," He calms down a bit while he's explaining, and i can feel my racing heart slow down too.

"But why was she here?" a million questions enter my mind and i'm unsure of which to ask first.

"I don't know! I haven't seen her since..." he speaks loudly before whispering the last sentence, lowering his head.

"Since when?" i insist, clenching my fist together to seem determined.

"Since... Right before we met," he confesses.

"What? Right before the party?" my voice cracks and i feel Harry gripping me tighter, moving his hands to my cheek, bringing me close.

"Yes... I broke up with her right before the party, which is why i was leaving early, before i bumped into you," his eyes flare with intensity, and i struggle not to melt into them.

"You mean to say that you broke up with your girlfriend a few hours before you met me? I thought you broke up years ago," my brow furrows without me noticing, and i feel a growing headache.