f o u r t y t w o

CHAPTER 42

Claire's point of view

"Hello?" I speak gently, placing the phone against my ear.

"Hey bitch," I hear Michael laugh.

"Michael!" My mouth opens slightly, surprised that he even called me.

"So I saw your interview and I really appreciated what you said," he refers to how I admitted to making a mistake not trusting him.

"I just wanted you to know how sorry I am," I say, feeling warmth spread around my chest from speaking to my best friend again.

"I know now, I forgive you, for all of it." He says. I exhale deeply, relieved. I needed this. Life without Michael really sucks.

"So you and Harry are really not together anymore?" He says with a disappointed tone. I look over at Harry, and I think about how I should explain our relationship. We are not technically together.

I have to see Niall and finally make a decision.

"No not really" I say, looking at the green eyes. His curious look reveals that he's wondering who I'm talking to.

"Oh... " His uncertain voice makes me wonder.

"I wanted to call and make sure you were okay, I heard your message at the end..." he says with an uneasy voice, causing me to run my hands through my hair nervously.

"I really hope you catch the bastard that did that to you," he says bluntly.

"Me too," I mumble.

"Why is your number blocked?" I ask, reminded of how I thought someone else called.

"I blocked your number... Petty as fuck, I know" he says, making me laugh.

"Look Claire I want to properly catch up with you, but I gots to go... Call me?" He asks, as I hear muffled sounds in the background.

"Will do," I promise.

"Ttyl bitch," he smiles, then hanging up.

I smile like an idiot at myself, then leaning over and hugging Harry.

"Woah, hey, what's going on?" He laughs with strained exhale, as I squeeze him tightly.

"That was Michael, we had a good talk," I lean back on the couch. He strokes my arm, kissing my head.

"I'm glad," he says and I'm reminded of the first time he heard of Michael.

"Remember when you thought he was my boyfriend?" I grin, looking up at him. He frowns, and I laugh as he seems embarrassed.

"Can't blame me for that, I had just met you," he pouts, and I continue my laugh at his expense.

"Oh shush," he pushes me playfully, and I fall sideways on the couch, and his hand lands on my waist when I sit back up. He turns to face me, and his intense stare makes the laugh fade away. He grabs the other side of my waist, pulling onto his lap. I face him, and I feel both our heartbeats accelerate.

"Harry," I stop him. He sighs, looking directly into my eyes.

"I'm sorry, I know you haven't made up your mind yet," he ads, bringing his hands up, playing with my hair.

"I'm sorry too, I know this is hard for you," I mutter, climbing off his lap.

"I just want you to be happy," he says, offering a slight smile.

I don't know what will make happy. Not yet, anyways. Niall told me he loves me. Do I feel the same way? I know I love him, but 'I've always been confused on whether I am confusing friendly and romantic aspects of my feelings.