Liona

I never needed any friends. I could talk to the animals. the birds, the cats, the dogs. They're much nicer than any human out there. Their honest and trustworthy. Animal instinct, mimicry, language. That's just it. I have all I'd ever need. The world gave me one gift, that being my quirk, an ability that set me apart from my family.
I'm the only one in my family that has this Quirk. Everyone else has some flashy, outstanding fire based quirk that can save people's lives. So i'm an outsider. They don't need me in their family. I'm a disgrace to the long line of Heroes, but of course to save face, they make me go to U.A for their Hero course.
They send me there for what? To humiliate myself. Maybe they think that the gifts of other people will some how rub off on me and I'll suddenly wake up one morning and find myself with a new and improved fire based quirk but I don't think that will ever happen. No likely at all.

So be it. I'll do it, it's not like I can ever say no to them. At least going to school will make me feel better about myself, maybe I'll learn something, maybe even become a hero. Or maybe not.

That's all there is to it but this, this is terrifying. No matter how many of them i knock down, they keep coming. They wont and don't stop. 1 pointers, 2 pointers, and 3 pointers, all mixed in the stampede of metal and students.

Other hero wannabes fight around me.

I run around trying to avoid as many of them as possible but even while I'm running, they follow me and i end up having to fight them. My arms are tired, lungs are exhausted, my quirk isn't meant to be used for battling groups of enemies. It's not flashy.
Of course i can fight with it, change from one form to the next, changing different body parts. Claws, fangs, wings, a tail.. anything an animal has.. If it's one on one, I wouldn't loose but in a group, I'm at a disadvantage. At the most, I can use pure strength to knock them down but that's tiring as well.

Just as i feel like im done for, the bell sounds and it's all over. Everyone starts to gather at the exit and gets ready to take the written portion of the exam.

A few days later i get the letter.. and i open it reading the words of my acceptance. A holigram opens and i close it right away.. Everything i need is written on the paper. I dont need to listen to a person talk about it.

I start all my paper work for costumes and uniforms. I step out of my house to go turn this stuff in.. As i walk, I see that many, many kids are doing the same as me.. They're turning in their forms on the first day.

Some boys are try to get a head start on finding a girl friend while other girls are making friends so that they're not alone when school starts. I dont need any one.. but people still come to me to try and talk.. I ignore them and turn my papers in. Some of them angrily shout at me but others just turn and find someone else to bother. Irritating people.

I start walking home when i spot a park and decide to stop there. Some birds fly close to me chirping a greeting and I nod to them back.. I sit on a bench and watch the kids plying on the swing set.. A completely black dog jumps up onto my lap and wags his tail..

His words are jumbled and i can't understand them but i pet his head and he seems satisfied..

" My dog seems to like you. It's unusual. He dislikes everyone but myself. " A monotones voice says to me and i feel someone sit on the other side of the bench.

I look up to see a boy with unusual hair. Half red half white. A red scar on the right side of his face.. I can only assume his quirk involves fire. I nod to him just as his dog starts barking at a passer by.

" That's most likely because of my Quirk. I am able to communicate with animals among other things. " I give him a short explanation. I tell the dog to quiet and he does, jumping back up onto the bench and sitting himself right in between the 2 of us humans.

" I am curious. Can animals understand us humans even if we don't understand them?" He asks and i see him looking down at his dog.

I shake my head.

" They don't understand exactly what were saying.. It's more like they start to recognize which sounds mean what. Like how a child learns how to speak. " I stop and look down at the dog. " If they could understand us, my power would not be called a quirk"

" I see" He says with his hand on his chin thinking. " Then it seem that i have more commands to teach him.. " He nods to himself and the dog looks up at him..

" He is waiting for you to call to him and pet him. " I repeat what i hear from the dog. The boys drops his hand on the dogs head and rubs his ears.

" I met a wise dog once when i was a child. He spoke to me with slow words that described the past. He spoke of how his boy loved him very much and that all he ever wanted from the boy was for the boy to let him stay by his side.. Even if the boy so much as muttered his name of glanced at him.. That dog loved his boy.. but even after all the love that dog showed to the boy, the boy left the dog for dead. The dog believed that humans who do not understand their dog are the spawns of the devil.. that all humans are sins. Greedy, full of wrath and hate.. They think nothing for other creatures. That they fight as Heroes for fellow Humans but there are no such beings for the animals that they cast aside.. " I stop and stand up. I start to walk off.

" I believe that dog to be very wise.. He understood what humans after only being with one boy."

As i walk away, i hear him call his dogs name.

" Shiro, come..."