1. The Past

Hermione's POV

"What else did you take? ANSWER ME! CRUCIO!"

I screamed in agony as she carved the words I loathed to hear on the inside of my arm.

Mudblood.

I thrashed about on the floor, screaming and squeezing my eyes shut as she continuously cursed me. Tears falling freely from my eyes as I whimpered in between the curses, I started to gag and my throat stung painfully... I felt myself being shaken and my vision went fuzzy.

"HERMIONE"

I shook myself and opened my eyes, realising it was just a dream. I was sweating and shaking, tears falling in constant tracks down my cheeks. I saw my mum sat on the edge of my bed worrying about me with a gaze filled with pain.

"Are you alright? These dreams seem to be getting worse Hermy" She said pinching the bridge of her nose and closing her eyes to stop the tears falling

"I'm okay mum, just a nightmare, go back to bed"

"I'll make you a cup of hot chocolate, yes? It might help you sleep better"

I nodded gratefully, I needed a drink to soothe my throat but I knew it wouldn't help my dreams. She disappeared downstairs.

Five minutes later, after her not returning, I wobbled down the stairs towards the kitchen, when something made me stop dead in my tracks.

"We need to tell her Frank, her dreams are getting worse. Maybe if we contacted Andrea she would be able to stop them?"

"Just because she is a witch doesn't make her able to stop them honey, and we will find the right time to tell Hermione"

"Tell me what?" I asked, raising my eyebrows in confusion.

My mother looked at my father in a resigned sort of way, she closed her eyes and sighed and turned to face me.

"Hermione, you're adopted."