28. Rhyme and Reason

Third person POV

Harry took the potion. Ginny had told him about the party that was happening tomorrow and he wanted this over with. His vision wavered and he felt himself being pulled into what felt like another's body.

"You can't do this. I'm in love with Hermione and you deserve the kiss. Why are you pleading the cruciatus curse?"

"Because I need more time." Lucius replied.
Draco twitched, his hand reflexively moving toward his wand. "Time for what?"

"Draco- how stupid can you be! Unfortunately I am your father, and I know you must be shown reason. You are a disgrace and will continue to be until you get rid of this wretched excuse for a mate!"
"You know I can't do that! I love her."
"You'll get over it, you always do. The amount of hearts you have broken is annoying- considering the mess I constantly have to clear up in the newspapers."
"Why can't you leave me in peace? I'm happy for once!"

"You ungrateful bastard. Your mother and I gave you anything and everything! We showed you kindness and loyalty that most children would wish for."
"Never love though, not from you. Mother, yes, but no not from you. Father." Draco spat the words.

Lucius flinched. "I made you strong. Love is for the weak."

"So mother made you weak did she?"
"No. Your mother is my soulmate."
"Hermione is mine!"
"NO SHE'S NOT. I WILL NOT LET OUR PURE BLOOD BE TAINTED WITH FILTH!"

Draco flinched.Lucius paused.
"Let me tell you a riddle. Perhaps this will help you, if you use your Malfoy inherited genius. I will let you keep the memory of this dream if you work out the riddle, if not... let's just call it fate.

There is but one, who knows it all,
The one that pries, prevents the fall.
A lost new life, a friend in need,
One that ends this lurid deed.

Bottles out, laughter at ten,
Emotions high, until when,
One is forsaken, all memories taken.

Effect on a curse,
A situation even worse,
Love may destroy or prevent the fate,
A potion saves the perfect mate.

Understand?" He smirked.

Harry grabbed a piece of paper to try and help keep the poem fresh in his mind, but as a tear fell out of Draco's eye and he shook his head, Lucius grinned evilly. Harry could sense the end of the dream was coming as he felt less corporeal. He finished just as Lucius began to talk.

"That came from a prophetess. I should have known you wouldn't understand the riddle- not truly Malfoy blood are you? She must not mean everything to you."

"I'm trying! Of course I want to save the person who I'm destined to spend my life with!"
Lucius scoffed. "Life? What life. If she is truly your mate, Ms Granger will be the end of you, soon enough. Unless the idiot who 'pried' has anything to do with it, which he won't, so you will both be gone soon enough. Oh, and don't bother trying to understand what the poem means, you won't remember this when you wake up."

"What do you mean gone?"

"Dead."

And with that, Lucius slashed his wand across Draco's face as Draco crouched in a defensive position

Two boys woke up with a start in the same dorm with a gasp, each lay next to the love of their lives.

One boy held in his hand a slip of paper.