||Jane Austen||

"Wisdom is better than wit, and in the long run will certainly have the laugh on her side."

🔻

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's."

🔻

"I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me that trouble of liking them."

🔻

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible."

🔻

"A person who can write a long letter with ease, cannot write ill."

🔻

"There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature."

🔻

"It is always incomprehensible to a man that a woman should ever refuse an offer of marriage."

🔻

"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."

🔻

"Woman is fine for her own satisfaction alone. No man will admire her the more, no woman will like her the better for it. Neatness and fashion are enough for the former, and a something of shabbiness or impropriety will be most endearing to the latter."

🔻

"Selfishness must always be forgiven you know, because there is no hope of a cure."

🔻

"I could not sit down to write a serious romance under any other motive than to save my life."

(Guilty...:3)

🔻

"Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves; vanity, to what we would have others think of us."

🔻

"General benevolence, but not general friendship, made a man what he ought to be."

🔻

"Those who do not complain are never pitied."

🔻

"Oh! do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."