|| H. P. Lovecraft ||

If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

🎩

I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams.

🎩

The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

🎩

I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

🎩

Cats are the runes of beauty, invincibility, wonder, pride, freedom, coldness, self-sufficiency, and dainty individuality - the qualities of sensitive, enlightened, mentally developed, pagan, cynical, poetic, philosophic, dispassionate, reserved, independent, Nietzschean, unbroken, civilised, master-class men.

🎩

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

🎩

I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess.

(Lovecraft sounds like my kind of guy, lol.)

🎩

The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

🎩

I fear my enthusiasm flags when real work is demanded of me.

🎩

Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places.

🎩

Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places.

🎩

I am not very proud of being an human being; in fact, I distinctly dislike the species in many ways. I can readily conceive of beings vastly superior in every respect

🎩

I could not write about 'ordinary people' because I am not in the least interested in them.

🎩

It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be let alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

🎩

All rationalism tends to minimalise the value and the importance of life and to decrease the sum total of human happiness.

🎩

All of my tales are based on the fundamental premise that common human laws and emotions have no validity or significance in the cosmos-at-large.

🎩

It is a mistake to fancy that horror is associated inextricably with darkness, silence, and solitude.

🎩

My nervous system is a shattered wreck, and I am absolutely bored and listless save when I come upon something which peculiarly interests me.

🎩

Throw a stick, and the servile dog wheezes and pants and shambles to bring it to you. Do the same before a cat, and he will eye you with coolly polite and somewhat bored amusement.