Chapter 31 - Lies

RECAP:

By the time the clock had reached 8:15pm i was already back in my dress from last night and my Note for Ashton was in plain sight on his living room table. I was scared, terrified of going back....but i had no other choice. I got myself into this big mess, it's only right if i fix it on my own.

I called a cab and gathered the few bits of change that i found lying around the house. I wasn't meant to be stealing it...but i had no other option.

I waited for it to arrive and gathered up the courage to leave Ashton's house, taking one last look before heading out of his door and into the cab, back to Nate's.

~~~~~~~~~

After what seemed like a long and daunting drive, the cab finally pulled up outside Nate's house.

Halfway there i got a phone call from Ashton asking if i was okay and telling me that he was going to be held up till 9:30pm. I felt guilty lying to him, i told him i was just typically sitting on the couch, watching television, the faint radio playing in the cab making my lie sound more believable.

I paid the driver and stepped out slowly, taking deep breaths to control my emotions.I walked up to the porch and knocked thrice. I felt my body shaking, not from the cold, from pure fear.

"You can do this. You can do this." I whispered to myself. Whether i could or could not do this...i had to.

I jumped slightly when i heard the locks being undone and soon enough i was faced with my beautiful monster.

"Hayley?" He said as more of a question, he looked shocked to see me.

"Hi." I whispered, my breaths becoming hitched in my throat.

"Where the hell have you been? You haven't been answering my calls, or responding to my texts." He half yelled, grabbing me by my arm and dragging me inside.

"I'm sorry. I wa- I stayed with a friend from school. Dani, she...we met up at the club last night..i c-couldn't find you and it w-was late so she offered me a place to stay." I lied, stuttering on my words.

"Dani?" He questioned and i immediately nodded.

"Oh...well i guess that was lucky for you babe. I must've blacked out, i just woke up in the couch and my head hurts real bad i think i hit it on something, or someone hit me." He explained laughing cynically on the last part. I could see a small cut on the top of Nate's forehead and a light bruise on his right cheek, which i'm sure Ashton gave him.

"Yeah...lucky." I whispered, staring up at him. I guess i expected him to be more mad, instead he seemed calm and ....understanding.

"I don't know how i got home though." He added, scratching his head lightly.

"Me either." I breathed, shrugging my shoulders and biting the insides of my cheeks.

"Come here." He said as he picked me up in his arms and spun me around, hugging me tight, but not painfully tight like i was use to, it felt....nice.

He put me down and wrapped his arms around me kissing me passionately. He gently backed me up against the wall and i tangled my fingers in his messy chocolate hair.

I guess i was wrong yet again......people do change, i was already beginning to see it in Nate, just from the way he looked at me.

We pulled away a few moments later, breathless and smiling. It reminded me of the old days, i was beginning to feel happy that i came back, it felt.....right.

"I think i should get changed." I said, panting and he giggled before agreeing. I smiled up at him and bit my lip before rushing upstairs to changed.