Couldn't Take it Anymore

Chapter Forty

Rae's POV

My fingers fiddled with the fabric around my wrists. I still hadn't taken off the bandages from the fight- its like they're part of me now. I bit my lip, holding in a cry that wanted to escape as another wave of pain hits my stomach.

I haven't moved from my bed this morning. Mason is somewhere, doing his Alpha duties. He's tried contacting me through mindlink but I've blocked him. I don't want him near me during my heat. Who knows what could happen and I'm not ready for... that.

Tears brimmed at my eyes. It felt like fire was going through my veins, or that someone was kicking me in the gut every minute. Raven was holding strong but I knew that she needed Mason. But I didn't want to disturb him from his Alpha business. That's important to the pack.

It only lasts a week.

One week.

Seven days.

I can do this.

I can get through this.

I could see my vein appearing every time the pain hits, like I wanted to shift but I was stopping myself from doing so. It would be more painful in wolf form anyway. My nails lengthened and dug into the bed sheets underneath, piercing the cloth. Falling backwards, I tightly closed my eyes, letting the tears stream down my face.

The first heat is always the worst- that's what my mother said.

Oh how I wish she was here now. She would help me and understand my reasons for avoiding my mate.

'Rae?'

Oh shit. How did he break through the barrier. Unless Raven broke the block so he can now feel my pain. I tried pulling up another barrier but he was too strong at this point- plus Raven's pain along with mine was draining my energy.

'Rae, are you okay?'

'I-I'm f-fine.' I grumbled, trying to sound normal.

'Rae. What's wrong!' he yelled, clearly not in the mood to be lied to.

'N-Nothing.' I whispered, trying to avoid crying with the fire that was burning in my lower stomach. A longer, stronger pain hit me, making a cry leave my mouth. How can she-wolves deal with this?

I heard a low growl before my mate appeared at the door. He eyes stared at me, watching every little drop of water that streamed down my face, watching my claws as they dug further into the bedsheets. I let out a strained gasp, the need for my mate's touch overpowering me. I couldn't take it anymore.

"M-Mason." I stumbled over to him, falling into his arms, letting his presence calm the fire and ease the pain. My nails gripped his arm, my body violently shaking.

"Why didn't you tell me you were in heat?" Mason picked me up before carrying me over to my bed, pulling me into his body.

Hissing at the pain, I curled closer into him, trying to make the pain go away, "B-Because I'm not r-ready."

Mason sighed before his hand trailed through my hair, "I would never do anything you're not comfortable with."

"B-But the smell-"

"I can control myself around you," Mason spoke, "Because you are marked, no other male will try anything. If you weren't marked, I don't know what would've happened." When females are in heat, they give off a strong smell that's supposed to get mates to mate. It influences the male. Some males can control themselves and tend to just be around the female and support her, but others can't.