Part 9: Deadly road-trip!

Danny gently shook Izzi.

"Hey sleepy-head, time to wake up." Izzi's eyes fluttered open.

"What's going on? Did Ken sign us up for something again?" She yawned. Danny closed his eyes and sighed.

"I wish. We need to get moving before the Hellific get here." Izzi's eyes shot wide open.

"And here I was hoping that was a dream..." Danny stood up with Izzi in his arms and looked around the room.

"Afraid not." He said as he kicked at Ken's chest. Before his shoe even got close, Ken grabbed his ankle.

"I'm already awake." He said. Ken stood up and faced Danny. "I heard your conversation with Necrosse." Danny rolled his eyes. "Let's first think of a way to get out of here before we're overrun by Hellific." Ken said, walking over to the cell bars and placing his hands on them. The bars quickly turned red, and then melted onto the ground. Izzi swooped out of Dannys arms and flew around the hall corner into the other room. She then peeked back to Danny.

"We're all clear." She said. Danny and Ken snuck quickly towards the main office and peeked out the door. Trees a shrubs dotted the area. A path led from the doorway spread into several pathways around the town, almost like a highway.

"So, what are we going to do? We can't stay at home." Ken asked as the three of them walked down the pathway towards their house.

"You mean we can't board ourselves in our house?" Danny asked. Ken shook his head.

"Danny, don't you remember in all those movies that the zombies always get through?" Danny let out a sigh.

"I wonder if anyone in Cryoria is infected." Danny said. Ken perked up.

"Yeah, diseases don't spread in cold weather. We could move ourselves up there!" Ken said aloud. Danny and Izzi shushed him."Don't attract any Hellific, hothead." Danny whispered. Ken covered his mouth and nodded. Fortunately, no Hellific appeared for the rest of the trip home. Upon reaching their house, the 3 immediately bolted inside.

"Okay, essentials?" Danny asked. Ken nodded.

"Yeah, grab money, food, and a small amount of clothes." Danny clapped his hands together.

"Alright. Izzi, you're catching the break on this since you don't wear clothes. To my room!" Him and Izzi skipped down the hallway. Inside Danny's room, worn clothes lay sprawled all over the floor. A single twin sized bed sat right smack in the middle of the room. Next to the bed was a night stand with two drawers. Danny approached his bed and reached under his mattress.

"I know I have my life savings around here somewhere..." He said to himself. Izzi stood on the mattress and watched Danny from above. Danny suddenly let out a small cheer and pulled out a zip-loc bag with several dollar bills inside. He took the bag and dumped it's contents out on the bed in front of Izzi and counted the bills. Three 5's, Two 10's and four 1's for a total of 39 dollars. Danny stuffed the cash into his pocket and then walked over to his closet in the wall. He picked up a thick jacket and threw it onto the bed. He then pulled out a backpack and dumped it's contents out on the floor. He stuffed the jacket into the bag and picked Izzi up. He brought her close to his face.

"Before we go, what do you say we take one more shower? The one thing I don't like about vacations is that when you don't bathe, you in particular smell like a wet dog." Izzi smiled sheepishly and nodded her head. Danny cradled her in one arm and pulled a pair of swim trunks from the closet.

Ken stood in his room with his eyes closed.

Even though I'm only renting this room, I feel bad for leaving it. There are so many memories in here. Ken thought to himself. He opened his eyes and sat down onto his bed, feeling the blanket and sheets. He lied down onto the bed and closed his eyes once more. Suddenly the shower turned on and Ken sat up with his eyes wide open.

"I swear if you use all the hot water, I'm going to eat you first when we run out of food!" Ken exclaimed.

Danny stood in the tub with the shower running on his face. Izzi sat cradled in Danny's arm, cuddling up to Danny's chest. And before you start thinking this is going in an interesting direction, Danny's wearing a blue swimsuit. After a few seconds, Danny adjusted the shower head and then lied down in the tub with the water running on his upper chest. Izzi stood up from her spot and lied on her stomach on Danny's chest. She gave him a worried expression.

"Danny, are we going to be okay?" She asked. Danny looked down at her and gave a not-very-reassuring smile.

"Yeah, I'll make sure that we're safe." He replied, stroking her wet, furry, ears. Several seconds passed as Danny continued to stroke Izzi's body, from her little head to her demon tail. Izzi then crawled up to Danny's face and touched her cheek to his. Danny picked Izzi up under her arms and kissed her forehead.

"As long as you stick with me, you'll be okay.Okay?." Izzi hugged Danny's face. Danny flipped Izzi onto her back and stroked her stomach. Izzi let out a giggle and started squirming, but Danny kept tickling her stomach. Suddenly, outside the bathroom, Ken banged his fist on the door.

"Hey, we need to go!" Danny sat up with Izzi in his arms.

"Alright, let's dry off, then we can going." Danny turned off the shower and stepped out on the bath mat in front of the mirror. Water dripped down his body. Izzi climbed out of Danny's arms and stood up on the sink. Danny pulled a towel off the top of the toilet and dried himself before drying off Izzi. After getting dressed, Danny picked Izzi up and opened the bathroom door.

"Ready to go?" Ken asked, impatiently. Danny looked at Izzi, then they both nodded at Ken. Suddenly the ground started shaking, and a loud gurgly roar shook the house.

"I didn't even get to shower." Ken muttered.