Part 22: That could have gone better

"Okay, let me get this straight: Your name isn't Bobo Latrine, it's Danny. And you are chasing around an alien named Necrosse, who spread a disease that turns you into a zombie called a Hellific?" Danny nodded. Aki let out a loud sigh. "You know if you didn't save my life back there I would execute you for telling such a ridiculous story..." He said. Danny laughed sheepishly.

"Well I'm glad I did then."

Aki then looked up at Izzi.

"So you and the alien are both named Necrosse?"

Izzi shook her head quickly.

"No! I would never have such a ridiculous name. My name is Izzi." She said. Aki placed his head on his hands and thought aloud. Ken suddenly intervened.

"Hey I don't mean to spoil your pity party, but the Hellific are still here." He pointed to several Hellifics staggering towards them and moaning.

"Yeah, we should probably leave." Izzi replied. Everyone turned and ran past several worn buildings and tents that dotted the landscape. As soon as they reached the edge, Ken noticed something black in the corner of his eye. He turned and noticed a Hellific human sitting on the ground holding a Hellific Emental in her arms. His eyes widened.

"Oh please no..." He said. Danny and Aki stopped and turned to him.

"What's wrong?" Danny asked.

"Please don't be Rose and Nina..." He said on his breath. He fell to the ground next to the Hellific and examined them. A tear fell down his face. The Hellific turned to Ken and let out a soft moan. Ken wrapped his arms around Rose's Hellific body and shut his eyes tight. Danny approached Ken and knelt down. Rose and Nina both eyed Danny through their masks.

"I told her she would be okay..." Ken said. "I said if she kept running, she wouldn't be infected." Ken released Rose and looked at Danny.

"Don't worry about it. There's nothing we can do." Ken stood up. Nina and Rose stood with him and reached their arms out to Danny. Ken blocked her and placed his hand on Rose's mask. 

"I'm so sorry, Rose." A large fiery explosion shot from his hand and catapulted Rose and Nina several feet away. Danny and Ken walked back to Aki, and then briskly walked down the trail out of Vitiosis.

While on the trail Aki suddenly stopped. Danny, Ken and Izzi looked back at him. A brisk breeze blew past them, rustling the trees and the grass around them.

"Are you okay?" Danny asked. Aki glared at Ken for several seconds.

"You're wearing a mask, but I can tell you're glaring at me." Ken said uneasily. Aki briskly walked up to Ken and looked at his face with his mask nearly touching him. He then recoiled back.

"It's you! You're the pyro I chased away from the river with Rose!" Aki growled. Ken slapped himself.

"I would have thought saving your life would have you drop that charge."Aki pulled a long knife from his hip and pointed it at Ken. Ken raised an eyebrow.

"Correction. Danny saved my life. You are a fugitive." Aki lunged forward and attempted to stab Ken, who easily lept to the side and fired a large plume of fire at Aki, sending him falling to the ground. His barrier glowed as it protected him from Ken's attack. Danny jumped between them.

"Guys, now isn't the time to be fighting!" Ken shoved Danny aside, making him and Izzi fall to the ground.

"The world is ending and this fool is trying to enforce a law that I didn't even know I was breaking." Ken's hands glowed with heat. He walked over to Aki and placed his foot on his neck. A sudden moaning sound made Ken jump back. Two Hellific appeared behind Aki from the trees and grabbed him. Danny, Ken and Izzi backed away quickly. Aki screamed as his body turned black and a white mask formed over his own mask. Aki's Hellific glowered at Ken.