Part 21: The Hospital of Darkness

Screams echoed throughout the hospital. Danny, Aki, and Izzi all stopped at an intersection in the hallways.

"If I knew anything about these black things, I would say they got in." Aki stated. Suddenly, a few nurses and a doctor came running down the hallway. Danny attempted to stop the nurses, but they ran past him without a second thought. The doctor however stopped and looked behind him. Nothing.

"Kid, now is not the time. There is a pandemic going on and we need to evacuate the building! All the patients have been infected and a majority of the nurses are also infected." Danny's face turned grim.

"Well, that settles that. We need to leave. Right. Now." He said.

"Danny, we need to get Rose and Nina."

"Rose is here!?" Aki exclaimed. "If that's the case let's just let her die here, this world would be a lot better without someone who steals souls." Ken glared at Aki.

"She doesn't steal souls, she steals medical supplies so she can live off the soul she's connected to! Don't you know how black souls work?" Ken exclaimed angrily. He then turned to Danny.

"Let's go get them, and we can leave. And about your friend, well, I don't think I like him in our group." Danny gave him a sheepish smile as Ken turned and led them swiftly to Nina's room. Suddenly, a scream echoed out. Danny and Ken ran into the room, with Aki just strolling behind them. Rose was on the ground with a Hellific on top of her trying to infect her. Danny and Ken quickly got to her side and shoved the Hellific off her, then blasted it with a combination of fire and electric magic.

"Rose I don't like this place!" Nina exclaimed. Ken helped Rose to her feet, who quickly picked Nina up.

"It's okay. We'll leave now." Ken took notice of the curtains.

"I think I have a ticket out of here." He said, spread the curtains. Outside the window, no Hellific were in sight.

"Rose, I want you to take Nina and get out of here through that window. I'm going to see if we can help the remaining people here out. If you see a Hellific, run until you can't see it."

"But if you get infected..." Ken cut her off.

"I need to help my friends so we don't all die. You will be okay if you just keep running."

"What about Nina!?"

"There should be another town down the trail. She should be okay."

"And who made you the doctor around here!?" Ken ignored her and placed his hand on the window's glass. A sudden surge of heat caused it to shatter.

"Get out of here!" Ken demanded. Rose gave Ken an annoyed looked.

"Fine. But if you get infected, I'll never forgive you." Rose removed Nina's IV and crawled through the window with Nina held against her stomach. She then ran off into the distance, and then out of sight. Ken turned around and noticed a Danny had effortless put a Hellific in a headlock on the ground. He gave Ken a thumbs up.

Rose ran towards the border of the town when she saw a large black dragon land in front of her. A man in a skin-tight silver suit with black stripes on it stepped off the dragon. Riding on the dragon's neck was another man dressed in security guard armor.

"Is this the one, Zaneth?" The one called Zaneth squinted his eyes at Rose and Nina.

"Yeah it's them." He replied, tossing Necrosse two Hellific masks.

"Who are you?" Rose demaded. Her face turned pale when she saw the same masks as the Hellific that attacked her.

"Miss, you likely won't believe me, but I'm here to help." Rose glared at the silver man with Nina pushed towards her chest.

"Who are you!?" She repeated, this time louder.

"The only thing you should know, is that these masks here will allow you to live." Rose's mouth dropped open.

"Liar!" Necrosse shook his head.

"It puts your body into a trance-like state. The reason I'm here is because of you two. Your emental is in bad condition and it would be really bad if she died because of me."

"How can you tell she's sick?"

"Alien technology." Necrosse smiled and held up the masks. "These masks will put you and your Emental in a stasis, you won't die and she will stay in a state that will not kill her. You will both live." Rose slowly approached the man.

"How can I trust you?" The man lowered the masks.

"You can't. But think of it like this. If you don't take the masks, your emental will die because of lack of treatment, or you can trust me and put the masks on." Rose closed her eyes and looked at Nina.

"Rose, you don't have to..." She said.

"If you don't resist it, you won't feel a thing. It will be like falling asleep. Your body will stay in the same shape it is right now. You could basically live forever in these things. "Rose gritted her teeth.

"Okay. I'll take the mask. But first, I need you to do something for me."

Necrosse cocked his head.

"What is it?" He asked. Rose pulled a bright orange stone from her pocket.

"I need you to hold onto this for me. It's an artifact called an Emental Stone. If you guard it for me while I'm a Hellific, I would be very grateful." Necrosse smiled.

"I'll make sure it's in good hands." He said. Rose handed him the stone and then sat onto the ground. Necrosse held her chin up and slipped the mask onto her face. Her skin instantly turned black. He then placed the other mask on Nina's face, who also turned completely black.

Necrosse held the stone up in the air."I never would have thought it would have been this easy to get this" He said.