Part 18: A black soul

Danny sat on the fancy bed with his arms crossed while Izzi lay next to his leg.

"So now that we are right smack in the heart of Vitiosis, do you think we should look around?" Izzi turned to Danny.

"We should probably look for Ken. I'm a bit worried about him since Aki doesn't know Ken is also with us." Danny's eyes widened.

"I forgot about Ken!" He exclaimed. Danny jumped to his feet and grabbed Izzi by her tail. "We need to go find him!" He opened the door and saw Aki standing right in the doorway. Danny screamed and jumped back.

"Room service." Aki said cheerily. Danny cradled Izzi in his arms and gave Aki a scornful look.

"Do not do that! I do not need room service, I need to go out and look around!" Aki cocked his head.

"Out? Why? There's nothing to see except for homeless people." Danny groaned.

"Listen, I'll worry about them later, I need to find my friend." Aki gasped slightly.

"Oh? Were you supposed to meet him somewhere?"

"Y-yeah, but he probably left the meeting spot and is likely looking around town for me." Aki let out a gleeful cheer.

"Okay then, I'll acompany you to find your friend." Danny's jaw dropped.

"No thanks, I don't need you with me. I can handle myself." Aki shook his head.

"I think not. A person of your rank shouldn't wander around town defenseless."

"I'm not defenseless, I have electric magic and Necrosse with me." Aki put his hands up and then walked away. Danny let out a sigh of relief and headed down the hallway behind Aki. He suddenly stopped, causing Danny to bump into him.

"One thing though. Watch out for Rose." Danny raised an eyebrow.

"You mean the bear thing in the main office?" Aki shook his head.

"No, there's a person who lives in this town who is also named Rose. You may have herd rumors of me killing people, but Rose has been known to steal souls." A shiver ran down Danny and Izzi's spines.

"She steals souls? Is that even possible?" Aki nodded.

"She uses dark magic, and being that she has lived this long, she has to have been living off of other souls." Izzi suddenly tugged on Danny's shirt.

What? She mouthed. Danny looked back up at Aki.

"What do you mean?"

"You know how souls are right? They let you use your magic. They are 40 percent light and 60 percent of whatever your element is. However, if a person's soul turns out to be 60 percent dark, then the darkness cancels out the light and that person is left with a black shriveled soul." Danny looked at Izzi, and then back to Aki.

"What happens to a person if they have a black soul?"

"At early ages, they are completely fine. But when they reach about 6 years of age, they start acting out. Lashing out at random people for no known reason, and cussing out their parents. It's not a pretty sight. Soon after that starts, their body starts to shrivel up and they die. It's a slow and painful process." Izzi felt felt Danny's hand tighten around her.

"We need to go..." Danny said a low tone. Aki stood aside as Danny ran out of the office; tears welling in his eyes. As soon as they were out of Aki's hearing distance, Izzi spoke up.

"Danny, are you crying?" Danny sniffed loudly and wiped his eyes.

"Izzi, you're a dark emental." Izzi flew up to Danny's face and hovered in front of him.