Chapter Six - Gifts

This is a little early since I will be out of town this weekend. I wasn't sure if I would be able to get the chapter out on Saturday, so I'm publishing today. If my schedule clears on Saturday, I'll post chapter seven too. Thanks again for the comments, likes, reads, and follows. You guys are really amazing readers. Thank you and enjoy.

Tris' POV

I never thought I would look forward to Christmas as much as I am right now. Both my parents and Marcus are at a huge Christmas party tonight at my father's firm. While families were invited, Caleb, Tobias, and I won't be attending. Caleb finally got the courage to ask Cara out on a date tonight, and I said I wanted to finish wrapping some presents and just relax since yesterday was the last day of school. While it isn't an outright lie, I did fail to mention that Tobias would be coming over for dinner while everyone else is out.

This will be the first time that we're able to actually sit down and have a conversation with one another in person for more than ten minutes. It will also be the first time we can enjoy each other's company and not have to meet in secret with stolen kisses and passed notes, the fear of getting caught looming over our heads.

 It will also be the first time we can enjoy each other's company and not have to meet in secret with stolen kisses and passed notes, the fear of getting caught looming over our heads

I check myself in the mirror one more time, smoothing my dark red dress down in the front. The dress isn't too revealing; although the neckline is somewhat plunging, the length goes just past my knee, equalizing the affect. I fix my hair, adjusting the barrette and curls, but even that feels like a hopeless case right now with how nervous I am. I sigh, then walk back to the kitchen to pull out the chicken since Tobias should be here any minute. I also take the chocolate cake out of the pantry where I hid it so my family wouldn't eat it, and smile when I see that there are no missing pieces.

I am just taking the chicken out of the oven and setting the pan on top of the stove when I hear a slight knock at the door. I run quickly through the living room, excitement flooding through me as I reach for the doorknob. Tobias stands there in his long brown coat, a light amount of snow in his dark hair; his smile is enough to make me weak in the knees. I smile back, moving out of the way to let him in. "Come in, Tobias."

He walks past me but doesn't say anything until I've closed the door. He turns to me, that same smile stretching across his face. "You are so beautiful, Beatrice. Absolutely breathtaking."

I blush and look down as he removes his coat and hangs it up, revealing a dark blue sweater and brown slacks. He comes over to me, lifting my chin so I can look in his eyes. "I can't begin to tell you how happy you make me. You give me a reason to get up in the morning."

Before I can respond, his lips are on mine, and a hunger for more than the quick kisses we've been having in secret surges through me. I press myself to him, placing my hands on his chest, my lips moving with his. He responds by wrapping his arm around me tightly, the hand that was holding my chin now threading into my hair to pull me even closer to him.