Chapter Fifty-Four - Home Sweet Home

Thank you my amazing readers for your likes, follows, PMs, and comments.  It means the world to me to know how much everyone is enjoying this story so far.  We are getting close to the end, but don't worry, there is still plenty of story to go.

Thank you so much to my amazing editors Depecher and BarbaraK2U.  I really don't know what on earth I would do without you two. 

Tris' POV

"I can't believe it's been over three years," I mumble, watching the streets of Chicago rush past as the cab draws nearer to my parents' house.

Tobias doesn't say anything, but I can feel his tension as he continues to gaze out the window, not saying a word. I see the muscles in his jaw twitch when we pass familiar streets, and I can only assume he is recalling memories that he doesn't wish to discuss right now.

I scoot closer to him, placing my hand over his clenched fist to offer him my comfort. He sighs, finally unclenching his fist to give my hand a gentle squeeze.

"I love you," I whisper, knowing we have an audience.

He turns, pressing his lips to my temple, and wraps an arm around my shoulders. His voice is a deep rumble close to my ear. "I love you, too. I'm sorry I haven't said much since we got here. I just never thought I would see this place ever again. At least not with him still living, anyway."

The cab pulls up to my parents' home, and I cautiously look out the window to make sure none of the neighbors are watching. Even though both of us look completely different than we did before we left, I would rather not have word get to Marcus that his son and now daughter-in-law are back in town.

We quickly grab our things and walk to the front door where my mother waits, the door wide open in welcome. She gives us a bright smile and states in an overly-cheery voice, "Come in, you two!" She steps back to let us in, and I give her an odd look as I brush past my mother to go inside.

There seems to be an awkward silence as I wait for my mother to come inside. She begins looking around quickly to find a topic to speak about. Her eyes land on my dress and she smiles. "Oh, Beatrice, you look so pretty in your dress. Where did you get it?" she gushes.

I look down at the white and blue striped dress that Shauna gave me ages ago, and smooth the front nervously, thanks to my mother's ogling. "Um...actually, a friend gave it to me. Her sister couldn't wear it."

"It looks lovely on you, dear," she says, waving her hand over my attire.

She turns to Tobias, who closes the door behind him quickly, setting our bags by the door. I can see his hand itching to lock the door behind him, but he drops it to his side quickly. "How are you doing, Tobias?"

He nods, letting out a small breath now that he's behind closed doors. "Very well. Thank you, Mrs. Prior."

She smiles gently and states in a softer tone, "Please, call me Natalie." She looks at our bags and turns toward the hallway. "You'll be staying in Beatrice's old room." She turns back to me, giving me a warm smile. "Why don't you show your new husband where it is so you two can get settled? Your father went to the store and should be back shortly."

I try not to laugh at how awkward she's being, but I know she's trying to keep tensions low.

The phone rings, and she gives us an apologetic look as she takes off quickly to answer it before they hang up. I try to grab for my bag, but Tobias is quicker. "Lead the way, Mrs. Eaton," he says with a wink.