Chapter Twenty - New Instructor

You guys are amazing! I can't thank you enough for reading, following, voting, and commenting. I love hearing what you guys think of this story. Enjoy!

Thanks Depecher for your continued help as an amazing Beta.

Tobias' POV

Rage like I have never felt before in my life pulses through my body making it nearly impossible for my muscles to relax.  It's slow, lingering, and consumes nearly every part of my being.  The only thing keeping me in my current location is Tris clinging to me even in her sleep.  If she hadn't asked me to stay with her, I probably would have gone after Eric the moment I had the chance.  I wouldn't have killed him quickly either.  I would have beat him into unconsciousness, then dragged his body off to make sure his death was slow and painful.  Especially given how much suffering he has caused her this week. 

I'm not happy with Amar right now either, but his infraction is minimal at best.  I'm mostly upset because he shouldn't have dragged Tris into a situation that wasn't even a problem yet.  Had he not spoken to Tris about keeping me focused, she more than likely would have come to me immediately.  It caused her far more fear and unrest than it should have.  If he is truly concerned for my ability to focus around her, I may just need to show him how razor sharp it can be. 

Then there's Zeke.  While I'm mad that he hid what happened from me, I'm also relieved that he saved her.  I'm grateful he's been giving her some way to fight back, though I'm not happy with how much bruising she has.  I'll probably step in and teach her myself, not only to protect her but so that I can oversee her training.  Either way, I owe Zeke a lifetime of gratitude for his help. 

I feel Tris stir in her sleep, a whimper coming from her lips; her body trembling next to me.  I pull her close, and begin smoothing her hair down, whispering in her ear that I'm watching over her, keeping her safe, and mostly that I love her.  I feel a tear hit my chest, and I pull her tighter to me. 

In one encounter, Eric managed to do this to her.  Made her fearful of him, and what he could do to her.  I will make sure he pays dearly for what he's done.  I don't care if I have to shove him into the firing range, I will make sure he pays for doing this to her. 

Her whimpers finally cease, her body relaxing into mine again.  I sigh out in defeat as her breathing returns to the slow, steady rhythm as before.  As much as I want to hunt him down tonight, I can't leave her.  She hasn't slept in days, and she needs to know I'm here to protect her; that she doesn't need to worry any more.  I close my eyes, and breathe her in, willing a calmness to settle not only into me, but into her dreams.

**********

I wake up to the sound of rain against the roof.  Tris is still sleeping against my chest, breathing deeply and slowly.  I glance at the time, seeing that it's just before seven.  I'm afraid if I move I'm going to wake her.  I know she hasn't slept well, and if I'm being honest, neither have I since I've been worried why she's been avoiding me since Tuesday, but I really do need to speak to Amar about what has transpired this week. 

I need to go to Amar first before I do anything today.  He needs to know what happened right under his nose this week and how to keep it from happening in the future.  I'm not sure what he'll do, but I'm hoping he'll have Eric kicked out than having him arrested.  It will only add to his humiliation before I track him down and murder him.

I contemplate for a few more minutes if I should just stay in bed with Tris, but my desire for some kind of justice wins out.  I slowly scoot over, being careful not to disturb her as I move her off me and onto the pillow.  But her groggy, muffled voice hits my ears anyway.  "If you didn't want to stay, all you had to do was say something."