Chapter Eight - One Last Goodbye

Thank you to everyone that has voted, commented, read, and followed. Every one of you are amazing and I can't tell you how grateful I am to have you as readers. Enjoy

Tris' POV

There are things in my life that I have dreaded, but I have never felt anything like this. I never wanted this day to come. My dread and anxiety culminate in a knot of tension in the pit of my stomach that I can't seem to get rid of; I fear this might be the last time I ever see him.

The moments Tobias and I have recently had together have been brief and stolen, especially since he's been having to work with his father. I didn't even have the chance to wish him a happy birthday since his father insisted on taking him out with all of the employees of his business. We were both incredibly frustrated at being kept apart, given the precious little time he has left here.

So instead of sleeping in on Saturday, the same week that school started, I'm getting up at three in the morning to meet Tobias at the school. It will be the last time we can talk and just be together before we have to walk to the bus station, where I will see him off when it leaves at seven.

I dress warmly, given the frigid early morning air, and grab the chocolate cupcakes I made for him, placing four of them in the small box I saved from Christmas. I grab the letter I wrote last night for Tobias, gently tucking it into my pocket. It really isn't even a letter; it would probably be considered a small book with how much of myself I poured into the pages. Lastly, I put on the cross that I was wearing on the day I introduced myself to him and the locket he gave me, and then set out into the early morning.

I walk quickly down the sidewalk, my feet crunching in the snow. I try to stay warm, but after fifteen minutes of walking, my teeth are chattering; fortunately, the building comes into view.

I see a figure standing in a long trench coat and Marine cap, leaning against the wall of the school. I begin running toward Tobias, excitement flooding through me. Before I can wrap myself into his warm embrace, he grabs my hand, running us behind the building without a word.

We come to a door, and I see Tobias lean over the lock, his hands working quickly. He suddenly straightens, turning to give me a smile as he opens the door. The warm air brushes across my face, and I let out a sigh, grateful that he knows how to pick a lock, but terrified that we are going to get caught.

I'm about to say something about breaking in when Tobias holds a finger to his lips, signaling me to be quiet as he takes my hand and leads me through the door. My stomach erupts with nervous butterflies at the thought of going to jail, but the warm air wins out and I quickly step through the door into the darkened school.

Tobias doesn't let go of my hand as he leads us past locked doors and darkened corners. He moves through the unlit halls effortlessly, taking sharp turns and going up stairs. He keeps our pace quick, his trench coat billowing out behind him as he walks, not saying anything to me about our destination.

As we reach the auditorium doors, he finally stops and says, "Let me take your coat." I remove my coat, hat, and gloves quickly, handing them to him as he places everything over his arm. He looks dashing in his uniform, and it pulls at my heart to know that this handsome man is mine.

He then gives me a crooked smile. "Close your eyes." I smile back and close them, putting my trust in him, knowing that he won't let me get hurt. I hear the doors creak open, and he begins gently pulling me through, stopping my advance when the doors close behind me. I feel him get close to my ear, his lips brushing my skin. "Stay right there. Don't move, and don't peek," he orders.