Chapter Sixty-One - Truth Behind the Lies

I know everyone has been patiently waiting to find out what is going on...so here you go.  Thank you again my wonderful fans.  For everything.  Also, sorry for being late today. 

Thank you once more to Depecher and BarbaraK2U for your amazing help.  This story wouldn't be nearly as good and without mistakes if it weren't for you two.  Thank you so, so much.

Tobias' POV

"Stay here," I whisper to Lynn and Matthew as my mind attempts to catch up to what is going on in front of me. They nod slowly, staying crouched down, and my attention returns back to the woman holding the gun pointed at my father.

My body was already tense, like a trap ready to spring at the slightest provocation, but now I feel almost numb. I have no idea how to react to the sight before me. I was prepared for the very real possibility of seeing him, but not like this.

The woman standing over Marcus turns her turns head toward us, but doesn't take the gun away from Marcus' head.

"Nita? What are you doing?" Tris asks in a calm tone, still holding on to the doorknob in her crouched position.

I expect a crazy look to come over Nita's face, but it remains calm as she continues to hold the gun steadily on Marcus. "I should be asking you the same thing, Beatrice," she states coolly. "It appears we are both working late tonight," she adds in a sarcastic tone.

Tris slowly stands up straight, showing Nita her hands, and then gently pushes the door open and takes a step into the office.

I stand quickly, placing my hand on her shoulder to stop her advance as raw panic begins to pulse through my body. Why is Tris deciding now to show her bravery when she could be shot?!

Tris turns to face me, and I shake my head slowly, trying to get her to see that this is a very bad idea. "It's ok, Tobias," she states quietly before turning her attention back to Nita.

My eyes flicker back to Nita, who has her eyes focused on Tris while still occasionally glancing at my father. I don't trust Nita, especially not while she's holding a gun. I don't care that it's trained on Marcus right now; she could easily turn toward us and take a shot at Tris.

I shift closer to Tris, wanting desperately to stand in front of her, but her hand gently touches my stomach, stopping me.

Tris keeps her attention focused on Nita. I can feel her hand tremble slightly against my stomach. It lessens the knot of tension in my gut to know that she is at least aware of how dangerous the situation is. "We are here to get evidence to convict Marcus of money laundering and fraud. We need to be able to get into his safe," Tris says calmly, pointing toward the desk. "Care to explain what you're doing here, Nita?"

Nita gives a brief glance toward me, but then returns her gaze to Tris. I think she's going to start talking, but instead, Nita suddenly kicks Marcus in the gut. It takes everything I have not to throw myself in front of Tris as I feel her jump beside me. I notice Marcus doesn't react, and my mind is only able to come to one conclusion: Nita must have drugged him before we arrived. "This son of a whore killed my sister. I'm just returning the favor," she says icily.

I slowly step around Tris to face Nita, trying to shield Tris as much as I can while she tries to grip my waist. "Who was your sister?" I ask calmly, trying to think back to the conversation Tris and I had in the kitchen a few weeks ago.

Nita looks at me once more, studying my features, no doubt seeing a family resemblance. "Are you his son?" she asks, her eyes narrowing.

I swallow, and push through the fear that licks at my insides. "Only in the most biological sense. He was never really my father," I say derisively, deciding that I need to be honest with this woman holding the gun. If I lie now, she may shoot both me and Tris.