Chapter Twenty-Nine - What Next?

I am really sorry about the wait.  I have been so sick this week, so I really do apologize about not getting this out sooner.  I know you all are wondering what is going on with Tobias.  So thank you for the reads, votes, follows, and comments.

Thank you again to Depecher and BarbaraK2U.  You two are amazing.  I don't know what I would do without you guys.  

Tris' POV

Amar's words make my knees begin to shake; it's difficult to stay upright. My lungs begin to burn because I'm having a difficult time dragging air into them, and my head spins as the importance of his words starts to sink in. He's here to tell me my worst nightmare has come true. Again. Except this time, there won't be a mistake. He'll be coming home in a flag-draped box.

I feel Matthew grab me before I hit the ground, trying to stay focused on Amar, hoping that what he has to say doesn't end with 'I'm sorry, Tris.'

Amar steps forward quickly to help me stand straight. He looks me in the eyes, holding my gaze as he tries to keep me focused on him. "Tris! Listen to me. Four is still alive. Don't panic," Amar says, using a calming tone.

I study his face, seeing a reassuring smile. I start to giggle with relief, my whole body shaking from the surge of adrenaline that just shot through me. I feel Matthew looking at me with worry, more than likely thinking I've lost my mind, as he continues to hold me upright.

But then Amar's words really sink in. Why did he say 'still alive'? Shouldn't he have said 'he's ok'? I stand up straighter, detangling myself from Matthew as a new fear takes hold of me. "Amar? What do you mean by 'still alive'? Did something happen?"

Amar looks down, and my stomach twists painfully. "Tris, come sit down. We really need to discuss a few things."

I swallow all the questions that I have, desperately trying not to scream at Amar to tell me what he came here for and that he needs to tell me this instant what is going on with Tobias. Instead of yelling, though, I walk through the threshold and sit down on my bed.

"Matthew, I'll talk to you later. You need to return to your barracks immediately," Amar says in a firm tone from the doorway.

I stand from the bed in a panic, gaining Amar's attention. "Amar, no! I really need him here. Besides, we need to discuss some things that happened today when you get done." Amar looks between the two of us; his gaze is hard, more than likely thinking the worst.

I hear Matthew sigh from the other side of the door. "It's not what you think, Amar. She has just become a really good friend while you and Four have been gone. That's it."

Amar's gaze doesn't waver as he looks between the two of us. "Then why are you out well past curfew?" His voice is accusatory.

Matthew walks through the door, past Amar, his face dark before turning back to him. "We will discuss it once you tell Tris why you're here. Don't keep her waiting, especially if it has to do with Four."

Amar sighs, closing his eyes briefly before starring Matthew down. "Fine. But Matthew, this is top secret. Do you understand me?" he asks sharply, pointing at his chest.

Matthew nods, keeping his face free of emotion. "Of course, sir. You know I can keep a secret."

Matthew strides across the room, and sits on the bed next to me. Amar closes the door and takes the only chair in the room, then looks up at me. "Four was wounded last week."