Chapter Nineteen - The Ugly Truth

Thank you to all my wonderful readers. You guys are amazing and I love to hear what you have to say about this book. Keep your comments coming and thank you again for reading, voting, and following as well. Enjoy.

As always, thank you Depecher for your amazing work to help me get this out. You're amazing girl.

Tris' POV

I managed to avoid Tobias for the rest of the day, but it nearly killed me to do so.  I wanted nothing more than for him to comfort and wrap his arms around me, but I know I need to handle this myself.  It would consume him to know what Eric was about to do.  It kept me up most of the night, imagining what Eric would have done to me, and my nightmares didn't help by adding visuals to my already dark thoughts. 

The warm afternoon has quickly turned cool in the late twilight.  The early shadows of the encroaching darkness making it easy to slink toward the hanger.  I check to make sure that no one is around, and slip into the one that Zeke had indicated to meet him at. 

When I slide in, closing the door behind me, I find Zeke pacing back and forth in the dimly lit hanger, mumbling to himself, making wild gestures with his hands occasionally.  His usual jovial manner is gone as he continues pacing the floor.  I clear my throat, letting my presence known.  "Hey.  I'm here."  I squeak out. 

He looks up, his face stern.  He stalks toward me, stopping just a foot before me.  "Do you have any idea how hard it was to lie to my best friend?"  He begins gesturing with his hand out the hanger.  "That man has stuck his neck out for me more times than I care to count."  His voice rising in anger.  "You better tell me what the hell is going on, or I will personally go to him right now!"

"Eric tried to rape me."  I say looking at the ground, my voice barely above a whisper.  Fresh tears leaking down my cheeks.

Zeke is stunned into silence.  His arms dropping to his sides.  "Wh...what?"  His voice strained. 

I take a shaky breath in, keeping my eyes to the ground.  "At least that's what I think he was going to do.  He only touched my cheek, but he said some...things that indicated that was his plan.  But then he heard you call my name and ran." I sniff.  Wiping the tears away to look in Zeke's shocked face, which quickly turns to pity. 

"Tris..."  He says, reaching toward me in what he thinks is a comforting gesture. 

My voice becomes hard as I take a step back from him.  I don't want his or anyone else's pity.   I just want a way to protect myself.  "Now, are you going to teach me or not?"  I spit.

I brush past him to the punching bag he dragged out, trying to figure out how to hit it without hurting myself.  I curl my hands into fists, trying to remember if I need to tuck my thumb in or not, and try to take a swing.  My fist hits the fabric, and I feel as if my strike was like a feather hitting a brick wall for all the good it did. 

Zeke finally seems to compose himself.  Coming over to me, picking the tape up off the floor, and grabbing my hand.  "I will teach you Tris.  No one deserves to live in fear like this."  He mutters.

He begins wrapping my knuckles and wrist, his eyes trained on my hand.  When he finishes, he looks up into my face, grabbing the other hand.  "However, I will only do it on one condition."  He pauses, letting his words sink in as he looks me in the eye.  "I will give you three lessons, but then if you haven't told Four about what happened by then, I will.  I'm not lying for that asshole, because that's what you're doing right now.  You're letting him win."