Chapter Thirty-Five - Sweet Distractions

Thank you to everyone that is reading, voting, following me, and commenting. My life has been a little crazy lately, but everyone's support for this story helps lift my spirits on the days that I need it. I love reading what everyone has to say about this story.

Thank you again to Depecher and BarbaraK2U . I really don't know what I would do without you two. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Tris' POV

"I'll teach you everything I know as long as you teach me about your culture in America. Oh, and how to make those baguettes," Fernando says with a wink, waving his hand toward the day old bread on the table.

I sigh. "As long as you completely stop with the flirting, Fernando." I give him a hard look. "You've been slipping a lot since we made our agreement. I can understand a mistake here and there, but it is becoming much too frequent to be acceptable." I shake my finger at him to emphasize my point. "Keep it up and our deal is off. You can find someone else to be friends with."

He rolls his eyes at my comment. "You know you are making it very difficult. It is my..." He waves his hand in a circle, trying to find the word.

"Personality? Your true nature? Who you are?" I ask through gritted teeth, annoyed with his poor excuse.

"Yes!" Fernando says, gesturing toward me. "Who I am!" he nearly shouts in excitement.

"Two things, Fernando." I'm trying hard to keep my voice low. "One, Claudette is upstairs trying to take a nap, and you aren't helping by being so loud. If you wake her, I will hurt you. Two, we don't have to speak in English. My French is so much better than when I first got here. Lucien said that he would probably start my German lessons in the next few weeks."

"It's ok. I need to practice my English. Just in case I come across one of your rude American soldiers," he says with a low chuckle.

I cross my arms and huff, "Not all of them are rude."

"You mean your mysterious love?" he teases.

"He is not mysterious," I snap.

"Then why don't you have a picture of him? Hmm?" he says, smirking with satisfaction. "What's his name?"

"I really don't want you to have that information, Fernando. And I don't have a picture of him because if I get caught, I don't want them to take it from me. I especially don't want them to be able to track him down and torture or kill him for the sensitive information that I have," I hiss. "Idiot."

He chuckles at my outburst. "You are so tense. You need to learn to relax. You know I was only joking."

"I know," I grumble, not in the mood to joke.

Fernando looks at me, his face suddenly turning serious. "You miss your love?"

I sigh, closing my eyes. "You have no idea." I don't want to divulge the details of how much it hurts to be away from Tobias. Fernando doesn't need to know that most nights, I spend my time memorizing every line of his letters so that I can carry his words with me when I'm delivering my messages.

Silence falls between us as Fernando finally seems to grasp how hard it has been to be away from Tobias for as long as I have. This is the first time he hasn't questioned me further about my relationship; he finally seems to accept that I really am engaged to someone.

He suddenly snaps his finger, gaining my attention again. "I know what will heal your heart."

I raise my eyebrow in question. "You mean make me feel better?"