Chapter Fifty-Eight - Mistress

Hey guys! I can't thank you enough for all the reads, votes, follows and comments. It really does me the world to me. Just a heads up...I'll be moving in the next two weeks, about ten hours away from where I am right now. I'm going to try and get my chapters done, but if I don't, please don't panic, I haven't forgotten you guys. I will try to get them out quickly, but I won't make promises till we get settled. Moving, as we all know, is stressful.

Thank you again to Depecher and BarbaraK2U for your amazing hard work, and encouragement to push the envelope. Thank you so much. I can't even tell you how much I appreciate it.

Tris' POV

I silently slip the folder into my bag, making sure no one is looking, just as Tobias had instructed. I am walking back down the hall toward Marcus' office when I hear Nita yell, "Hey, Beatrice! You have a phone call."

I look at her somewhat confused, wondering who could be calling me. I've only been here a week, and I know Tobias and my father wouldn't be calling me right now. Those first few days, I kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing did. It was just hours of training and signing papers that Marcus quickly tried to explain away to get me to move along. Something inside me knew he was waiting for my guard to drop. He knew I had my eye on him while I was here, and I wasn't about to let my guard down until I was safely at home in Tobias' arms. "Ok. Give me one moment and I'll take it at my desk."

She nods. "Line two."

I quickly go to my desk and pick up the phone. "This is Beatrice. How may I help you?" I try to keep my voice pleasant and professional.

"How's it going, Bea?" a familiar voice asks.

"Matthew?" I question. I clear my throat, not understanding how he knew I was here, or why he was calling me. "How are you?" I try to keep my voice light so no one suspects anything. I wonder if something happened to him or Amar and that's why he's calling. But why would he be calling me here?

"Oh, you know, now that the war in Europe is over, I've been offered several potential jobs throughout the country. A few in Atlanta, two in New York, and interestingly three in Chicago, just to name a few. I'll be in town later this week if you'd like to get together," he states in an airy tone.

I let out the small breath I was holding and loosen the grip I had on the receiver. "Oh, and I spoke with Four a few moments before I called you. He said you were still single, and I was wondering if I could maybe take you out on a date?" he asks in a confident tone.

I pull the receiver away from my ear and look at the phone in confusion, wondering if I heard that correctly. "I'm sorry, did you say Four told you that?" Did George's brew affect his mind?

"Yeah, you know, ever since you and your boyfriend had a falling out, I was wondering if maybe I could take you out. I'll even take a lunch date. Get you out of that stuffy office," he states pointedly.

It suddenly clicks that Tobias is trying to give me an excuse to get out of the office, and maybe give Marcus a reason to stay away from me if he thinks I'm tied to someone, even briefly.

I smile, trying not to giggle at the thought of actually cheating on my husband, and with Matthew of all people. "Matthew, I would love to go out with you. I wish you had called me sooner. Maybe you could call me when you get here and we'll set something up." I giggle, feeling my cheeks heat up with my atrocious attempt at flirting with him.

"Ok, Beatrice. I hope you're having a good day. I miss seeing you in my workshop," he says with a chuckle.

I see Marcus walk through the door to the office, and I look down at the file to appear busy. "Hey, Matthew, can I call you later?" I ask quietly.