Chapter 13

A month to Zahrah's wedding, she was lying down in Aysha's room with her hands folded on her chest, and her gaze fixed at the ceiling. She thought of how life flashed quickly just like the flicker of light. Just like yesterday, she started schooling, and now she's a graduate. What kept hovering in her mind is how she'll get married and leave Aysha and their parents. She sincerely wished they could get married the same day with Aysha, but she believes that's how destiny plays it part.

Little Khadi entered into the room and walked towards the bed. She flopped heavily on the bed beside Zahrah and peeked at her face.  "Anty Zahrah what are you thinking of?"

  "Nothing really baby." Zahrah answered as she grazed khadi's hair with her hand.

  "Let me tell you something." Khadi said lowering her voice.  "I saw Anty Aisha crying yesterday." She completed in a whisper.

  "Why would she cry Khadi? or maybe she's missing me already." Came Zahra's remark.

  "I will miss you too Anty Zahrah." Khadi said while clinging to Zahrah.

  "I know khadi, I will miss you too."

  She kept quiet reflecting. Why is a woman's life always like this? She will leave her father's house to a new place. She loves Adam so much but can't conceive the idea of leaving her parent. Her eyes became blurry with tears as she thought of the capricious turn her life is about to take. It won't be easy though, but she'll try and come over it.

Little Khadi looked into her eyes and stood up from the bed.  "You want to cry too, I will go tell mama now." she said as she got up from the bed,  heading to the door.

  "No Khadi I'm not crying." Zahrah said wiping away the film of tear that trickled down to her ear.

  "I must tell her."
Khadi said stubbornly turning to look at her.

"If you tell her I will not play with you again." Zahrah said scowling at her teasingly.

  "OK I won't tell her."

Khadi succumbed and went out of the room raising her stubby blouse.

  Zahrah rose from the bed and went to the book shelf in search of some book to avert her mind. Her body was already wilted with the arduous thought that cramped her mind, and Aysha is yet to return from her project defence. If Aysha is here at least she will humor her a little, she thought.

  She searched through the book shelf, but couldn't find any book that suit her fancy.

  "If only I will see that flight of a witch." she murmured to herself  "I'm determined to read it so I must find it."

She searched all places she thought Aysha could hide it, but could not see it.

  "Where will that prawn hide it." She checked behind the safe, but saw something instead.

"A diary' she said. She promptly opened it, it was written on the first page

TOP SECRET

What would that be, she thought. She wanted to put it back from where she took it but had this strong urge to read it. "Afterall we share secrets"  she said and opened the diary. She sat down at the edge of the bed and started reading it.

Nothing but the saddest confession I'm going to make here, the confession of my own folly. The day we met at the café, is the day I don't want to remember. I wish I can unsnarl the rope of destiny, so that it never happened. The first time I set my eyes on him, I got lost in his world. His bright shiny eyes glitters under the sun like the most glossy diamond in the world. I knew I felt for him  at that instance, and all I wanted is to be with him. His smile which wrecks my heart into a million pieces, is one of the treasures of enjoyment which he poured freely into my heart. His poor words which I failed to describe have succeeded in betraying the sensation he awakens in me. The secret with which this confession holds shouldn't be told to anyone. I looked at him with hope, but what? he was interested in my best friend, the half of my life. I can never be an obstacle to them. I know I love him so much that I cannot even describe it, but I can never let anyone know about this. I will not be a Pryer to their happiness. I don't think my life will ever be the same again, because he had taken my happiness with him. All I want now is for them to be happy, an everlasting happiness that the waves of the sea can never wash away, nor the fierce sun can dry, because my friend truly deserves to be happy. She's a wingless angel no one can describe and the antidote to the terrible disease of my heart. This is a mournful confession with the tenderest heart who wrote it and pities the writer. His thought is the cause of my sickness, because it can't even allow me to rest not even for a moment. This is a secret I'm sharing with you oh diary, I hope to feel better after this. I really need someone to talk to. I want to confide my secret to someone, but for now, you are the only one I trust. I can never let my friend know this. I wish I'm like you oh diary, with no pain nor anguish.
ZAHRAH & ADAM
Forever remain happy, from someone with a wonderful heart, who loves you dearly. May Allah bless you in your union.

When Zahrah finished reading the diary, tears had already soaked the paper, with surprise widening her eyes. Trickle of sweat runs down her forehead unceasingly, and the room was spinning around with her as if she's on a rollercoaster.

Just then, Aysha poked her head into the room. When she saw Zahrah with the diary, she shrank and became confused, numb and mute. She couldn't move from where she stood. She was seriously engrafted.

  Zahrah stood from where she was sitting down and walked few steps towards Aysha, before Aysha could say something, she covered her face with a hard slap.

  Aysha used both her hands to cover the side she received the slap, with tears welling down her chin.

  "Now I know how little you take me. You think I'm just a friend to you, you have a problem you cannot tell me you are here killing yourself silently."

The room became quiet, only Aysha's silent sobs echoed in the room.

  "I'm going home." Zahrah said still tearing up. "I need to go and clear my mind about this."

 When she turned to go, Aysha called her name. She stopped silently without turning to look at her.

  "Whatever decision you are going to make Zahrah, please don't be severe on me. Don't slash me out of your life, remember that I cannot continue to live without you by my side. My heart is already part of yours. I cannot take two heart breaks at a time. I can take it from anyone but not from you, because we live for each other. Remember you once told me that nothing on earth will come between us."
Aysha concluded sniffing, just as Zahrah left without turning to look at her.

---     -----     -----
What decision will Zahrah make?
Follow me n see.