Chapter 46

Adam came down from his room fiddling with his car key. The place he left Zahrah was apparently empty. He decided to walk to the gate, she might be waiting for him by his car.

Amazingly, she wasn't there. Full of surprise, Adam walked to his car. He started the ignition key and drove to the gate.

When he got to the gate, he asked the gate man if he had seen Zahrah,which the gateman assured him she has gone.

Why will she leave after I told her I'm taking her home.

Its pretty obvious that she doesn't want to go with him, he shrugged and swirled the steering wheel back to the house.

After a moment of reflection, he spun the car round and headed to the gate. The gateman flung the gate open, afterward he hooted out of the house. He felt the strong urge in him to follow her may be she has not gotten a car already or she might be trekking along the lane.

Gradually, he drove to a distance he thought is beyond where she could trek to. He concluded she had gotten a taxi or rather, had gotten home already.

He thought it wise to visit one of his friend, Abdulrahman who leaves not far from the place as he has not seen him for long.

He drove silently, probably thinking of why Zahrah will refuse his ride. Is so unfortunate that she's riding on her wish stealthily.

Something stole his attention for a moment, people gathered around someone pathetically. He stopped his car by the side of the road and moved forward to the scene to see if he could help. He peeped through the crowd to see what was going on, when his eyes fell on Zahrah unconsciously on the ground as people were trying to lift her up.

"Lets take them to the hospital." a man among the crowd yelled.

"Is she still alive, she had lost so much blood." another said.

"What a narrow escape." another man uttered shakily. "Thank God the trailer did not fall on them, if that, they might not be recognisable."

"The bike driver is even better." another man chirped. "He's still conscious."

All this, Adam was listening subconsciously on the scene as he peered on Zahrah's figure lying on the ground.

It was when they took Zahrah to a car that he recovered his consciousness. He assailed his car and trailed after them to the hospital. His emotion tightened, he drove with a heavy heart to the hospital. He condemned himself for not persuading Zahrah to go with him, she end up climbing bike and this is what happened, but he believed is destined to happen, so he prayed silently for her recovery.

When he got to the hospital, perplexed, he followed the ambulance that took her into the hospital. The nurses took her to an intensive care unit (ICU). He watched as they drove her on the hospital bed into the room. He slumped on to a chair beside him like he had been paralysed.

He took his phone and called Aysha. He told her of the incident that took place. She was hysterical until he calmed her down that everything will be ok. He then called Zahrah's father too.

**

For nearly two hours, doctors and nurses had been on her head trying skillfully to revive her back, but she was still unconscious.

Her father went almost three times to peep at the room. His uneasiness grew with every second she spent in the icu. Her mother sat quietly on a chair lifting her cheeks with her hands. Adam and Aysha were there too, Aysha was crying uncontrollable with tears streaming from her eyes.