Chapter 47

Adam shambled lazily from his room to the balcony. He watched peacefully around the surrounding as everything nature swing around jubilantly, if they have any sorrow, it is buried in them, obviously not in display.

First, he saw ants convoyed, each with something in its mouth only God knows what. Then he gazed at the birds on distance trees leaping from one branch to another.  Cat hopped out of their neighbourhood and bounced on a lizard whisking for its life. Below him where people going for their normal activities.

He recalled what he had done in the past few days that elapsed, a week after Zahrah went into coma. After praying fervently night and day for her recovery, it seems his prayer is not worth answering, so he took the other path.

He was in the masjid behind his house on that day. He said his asr prayer lately as he just drove from the hospital. The doctor had told them that her condition is critical as she's not responding to impulse incited through her nerves. That made him drawled out of the hospital to his car.

He said his asr prayer, then recited Qur'an for a while.

Suddenly, the idea bounced on his mind. He said a prayer and stayed long in sujud. He prayed ardently with full consciousness. He got up from the sujud and lifted his hands slightly above his face and prayed too. Afterward, he nimbled to his house, took a knife and footed to the garden at the back of his house, there, the promise was made.

He made the promise with his blood as covetant. He took the knife, pierced his skin with it telling Allah to accept his blood as sacrifice and make Zahrah open her eyes, then he promised to extricate Zahrah's love from his heart forever if God accepted his sacrifice, his blood is a witness to his promise.

It was made, and now he sticks to his promise even as he sat there lonely. Zahrah is no longer part of his life. God made it easy for him to wash his heart clean and free from any attachment from this world. He'll now live his life free. One thing he doesn't know is that God had planned something for him which is buried from his sight, for not all promise tagged on the neck for long. We could never know what is happening under the earth as we plant our seeds until God sprout it out.

***

One week after she was discharged, Zahrah sat in her room as she's unable to walk. The doctor said she had broken her leg and it will take her months before she could walk again. Her sister and imtihan had left already. She was used to them being by her side. Now that they have left, loneliness is now her friend. Her mother usually rove around to see how she's doing. She can't even go to her mother's room since she's on wheelchair.

Omar do visit her two to three times everyday. He will enter her room with the permission of her father and in her mother's presence. Of course her wedding had been shifted till she gets better. Omar had brought all his sisters to see her which made her extremely happy. Nawal had clung to her and cried with tears while humairah, Aiman and little afrah looked at her sympathetically.

She dragged herself from her wheel chair back to her bed gradually in order not to hurt her leg. The leg had swollen so the doctor adviced her not to sit for long.

"Assalamu alaikum." Aysha muttered as she swung to Zahrah and slumped slightly beside her.

"Be careful not to hurt yourself." Zahrah adjusted slightly so Aysha will feel comfortable. "You are growing bigger everyday."

Aysha laughed. "Hilarious. We are just coming from the hospital. Adam is in the parlour, should I ask him to come in?"

"Is ok, Omar just left too."

Before Zahrah could close her mouth, Adam entered behind her mother who had just poked her head in. Zahrah grabbed her hijab from the bed quickly and put on.