Chapter 45

It was six o'clock already. The morning twilight had divested the frost of darkness from the ambience. Exactly three weeks to Zahrah's wedding.

Zahrah was sitting on her prayer mat with Quran opened on her laps as she was reciting. She kept reciting for almost an hour before she finally dropped it on the shelf.

She got up, folded her hijab and shuffled to her mother's room. Her mother had cramped everywhere with so many stuffs that she hardly find space to sit. Even her mother's bed was unevenly scattered.

"Why this jam-pack mummy?"

"I'm trying to put things in order." her mother replied as she moved on with her work.

"Isn't it too early for this?  Besides there is still time to do all this. Isn't it better for you to keep these for a little while and save your energy for now."

"Are you to tell me what to do?" her mother scowled at her and plodded on. "I didn't ask you to help me so save your saliva."

How simple life would have been for her if everyone will stop making a fuss about her wedding. Aysha is there waiting for her with her own trouble. She sighed audibly and turned to leave.

"What happened?" her mother asked. "you just sigh as if a rock had been placed on your head."

Did she know that the weight of this is more than that of a rock.

"I will be going to Aysha's house later." she stated before leaving her mother's room back to her room. She took a book from her book shelf and skimmed through unattentively. After a while, she dozzed off.

After minutes of sleeping, her sleep was broken by the sound of her ringing tone. She pried her eyes open indignantly and hissed. The sun is rising from the horizon brightly and fiercely. She grasped her phone from her side.

"What again. Can't you allow me to sleep even."

"You have to come early Zahrah, we have alot to do .You should better come right away." Aysha kept babbling into her ears.

Zahrah pivoted on the bed with the gabbling of Aysha ringing into her ears. "I'm coming miss sharp sharp." she cut the call hastily.

She got up from the bed apoplectically and staggered o the bathroom.

**

"What and what did you suggest we do?" Aysha asked. They where both sitting in Aysha's room discussion about the wedding.

Zahrah gazed at the window uninterested by what Aysha is saying. She peered at the blotches on the sky and drifted into reverie. "The weather is so nice, right Aysha? As if it going to rain. Earlier this morning the sun was so fierce, but it seems now like the cloud will be damp."

"Zahrah!" Aysha tapped her on her shoulder. "I'm talking of what we are going to do on that day, how many friends are we inviting?  What are we going to cook for our friends?  The type of drinks we are going to get and souvenirs, you know we can't just watch our parent did everything, they will be too busy with other people."

"Aysha do as you wish you are the big madam here. Don't blot my mood okay,"

"Aysha sighed. "We'll do this together and you will give me your support. Let me ask you this question, did you really want to marry Omar? Or..... " she hesitated for a while. "Are you still having feelings for Adam?"

The question hit Zahrah like a bomb exploding. She stared at Aysha swinging from reality to imagination. The question braced around her already cramped mind. When she has started moving on with Omar on her mind, how could Aysha asked such question? She could not utter a word. She cogitated for a while then went on to say, "what type of question is this Aysha?" Zahrah refuted, effusing anger in trepidation. "Adam is part of my past, if you want us to keep being together don't ask me that question again. I think I should leave now." she prompted up to leave.