Chapter 17

The day after the next day was when the Victory Tournament begun. The day after the qualifying matches was a day off for trainers to rest or train or do whatever. Ash and Morrison spent the entire day training with their Pokémon or fighting against each other to see who was better. May and Tyson spent the entire day wandering around Ever Grande City trying out different restaurants while Max had to keep Munchlax from devouring everything and when he had free time he browsed the souvenir shops.

Inside the main stadium the flames of Moltres were burning brightly and the crowd was cheering. "Welcome, ladies and gentlemen to the first round of the Victory Tournament. As you know, 32 participants will do battle here in the main stadium and from amongst them only one will be able to climb the stairs and stand at the top as champion. Matches will be full battles with each trainer using six Pokémon. And trainers may make substitutions freely. The trainers will also need to adapt to different varieties of fields; grass, rock, water and ice. When three of either trainers Pokémon have been eliminated there will be a field change and a five minute break."

All across Kanto Ash's friends and family were watching since he was in the first match. Delia was caring to a sick Mr. Mime, but both were watching the T.V and smiling widely. In the Cerulean City Gym Misty had just finished another Gym battle and was watching the T.V. smiling brightly waiting for the match to start. Brock was at home in Pewter City watching the matches with his brothers and sisters. All of them were eager for the match to start. Professor Oak, Tracy, and Gary, who was home for a break, stopped all of their work to watch the match. In Altomare Bianca and Lorenzo were watching T.V to witness the matches since they couldn't be there in person this time. Bianca had her notepad ready if she had an inspiration to draw.

"Now the first trainers to battle in the Victory Tournament are Ash from Pallet Town and Katie from Lilycove City" the announcer said. Katie was a very beautiful girl wearing a red top, black skirt going down to her calves and sandals with her long teal colored hair doing down to her lower back. "Now to direct your attention to the board for the deciding of the field." It began flashing around the fields and soon it stopped on the rock symbol, "A rock battlefield" the announcer called.

The neutral stadium switched into a rock field with boulders sticking around everywhere. "The first round of the Victory Tournament is between Ash and Katie" the ref announced. Ash was smiling confidently while Katie was also smiling with her eyes closed and she was brimming with confidence.

"Is there any information on Katie" May asked.

"Let me see" Max asked. He checked his Pokenav "It says here Katie is known for carefully analyzing her opponent's moves."

"Now for our competitors first Pokémon" the announcer called. Ash pulled out a Pokeball smirking and threw it into the field. In a flash appeared Latios with a cooed and hovered in front of Ash waiting for battle.

"And there's his Latios" Katie whispered to herself staring at the beautiful dragon. "Scizor let's go" she called sending out the red bug/steel Pokémon. On the screen both icons appeared as their first Pokémon.

"Ash starts with Latios while Katie is playing smartly and going with Scizor" the announcer called.

"Scizor use hyper beam" Katie called. Scizor formed a hyper beam with its claws and pointed them at Latios.

"Latios dragon rage let's go" Ash called. Scizor fired the hyper beam at Latios just as Latios fired the dragon rage. Both attacks met in mid air resulting in a massive explosion. It cleared shortly showing no Pokémon took any damage.

"Scizor use metal claw" Katie called. Scizor's claws glowed and it went after Latios with extreme speeds.

"Latios use psychic" Ash said. Latios' eyes glowed bright blue and then Scizor stopped in place unable to move.