leave

I keep awaking at 3 a.m. for like no reason. Plus my right eye is extremely sore and so are my arms, which kind of makes sense.

-- i hate being unproductive for the entire day.

-

-

-

chapter thirty-six. the kids from yesterday.

 the kids from yesterday

-

JUST LIKE A TIDAL wave of disaster simply arises with just blank stares at the two before me. Hostility and tension and confusion all appear between the three of us, and I inwardly wonder what made them decide to make an appearance at mine? I slide my eyeglasses further up my face whilst continuing to blink at the two again.

"What do you want?" it's a genuine question of nothing but concern and curiosity. "What are you doing here, of all places?"

Zayn clears his throat before glancing at Liam. "We've –," Zayn's cut off by Liam clearing his throat dramatically. He briefly looks at him before correcting himself, "I've come here to apologise to you."

I grimace at the scene before me. "I don't mind inviting you in to talk," I say to Zayn. "But Liam. I don't think you should come in." An unapologetic look surfaces my facial features when Liam and myself briefly lock eyes.

The two look at each other in synchronisation. Zayn kisses Liam's forehead kindly before following me up the steps further inside of my house, behind me. We both situate ourselves on the couch in the lounge with prominent awkwardness settling in our atmosphere. I begin to fumble with my fingers with my legs crossed over the other, together, facing Zayn.

"Are you and Harry dating, now?" Zayn asks. Curtly, I nod at my dark haired friend -- kind of friend. I couldn't properly understand the reason for Zayn to ask me such a thing since Harry and I's relationship has nothing to do with the shattered pieces of Zayn and I's friendship.

There's no affiliation with Zayn and NiallandHarry. And Zayn's aware of that, however.

"I knew it would happen soon," he muses to himself, Zayn's head shakes fondly as I abruptly clear my throat. Intentionally I ignore the small amount of butterflies tickling around my small intestine at the kind words. Coming from Zayn of all people.

Zayn snaps out of his trance and deeply apologises. "I don't know why we've fallen out, Ni," Zayn admits. "We've been friends for so long. We grew up together, and now we're practically adults."

"I'm just disappointed in you messing up what you had with Louis," I also admit, faintly sighing.

Zayn's face twists up in disgust. His amiable and nonchalant demeanour quickly fades away and his voice raises with nothing but accusations. Possibly assumptions that have been building up for years now.

"You've always showed favouritism towards Harry over me. He's cheated on Liam lots and lots of times, but you've never been disappointed with him. How come you're upset with me?" Zayn shouts at me frustratedly. His hands wave wildly through the air as I observe him, unfazed.

I can't even begin to believe this showdown is happening between one of my childhood best friends at the wrong time for me. There's a lot going on in my life — I am unemployed with no thought of what's going to happen to me in the future, university/major wise. My dad is planning a wedding with David. I'm backed up in schoolwork and in society truthfully.

Still I allow Zayn to shout and ramble at me with this pent up, inward anger I would've never guessed he had towards me. "... ever since we were kids you've been like Harry's obliging puppy dog. Following him around everywhere. Holding onto his every word. It's like the three of us weren't even a trio; we were a duo with a mindless boy who followed behind us for almost a decade."

"I won't bicker with you, Zayn," I snap at his distraught figure practically shaking across from me. "If you're gonna raise your voice in my home, then please leave. Thank you."

My nonchalance makes Zayn angrier. Practically seething through his teeth. "If you let me walk out of that front door Niall, I swear –" a look I've never witness Zayn wear on his face before abruptly appears. "– I swear I'll never make an effort to mend this broken friendship again."

Carelessly I shrug. "It took you nearly a month to anyways." And I'm right, it did. But that's not all the reason I don't particularly care – I have two great friends, Dylan and Louis. A boyfriend that goes out of his way to support me. A busy yet caring family, I'm nothing but content with these people in my everyday life.

And they aren't always free to spend time with me. And they're not so many people, but no matter the size, they make me feel comfortable. This peculiarly rare feeling you get when everything feels right -- when you're in the right presence of someone.

Plus, Zayn didn't exactly care for me since the beginning, why would I make an addition for him to now?

Zayn departs with a slam from my front door. That's when I realise not all friendships are meant to last. Forever doesn't exactly last a lifetime — it might just be as interim as a life span. The combustion that just erupted between I and Zayn; if it wouldn't have happened sooner, it just might've in the future.

Our friendship wasn't much of a friendship, and, maybe, just maybe, the only thing we had in common is Harry. The only mutual friend that developed a friendship with the two of us. But now things have changed from then to now. Harry's my present and my future no matter where our relationship takes us.

But Zayn isn't my future, more of a past, my past. As we use to be the kids from yesterday.

-

-

-

-

The Kids from Yesterday is by My Chemical Romance. One of my favourite rock bands of all time. Even if they decided to break up several years ago //:: like wtf. I miss them so much.

I also miss one direction. they can never treat me like this. i won't allow it.