drive,

This is the shortest of the shortest chapters I've ever written. A little over three hundred words, oh my god. I guess it's a filler.

An unedited suckish filler.

-

-

chapter sixty-one. phone call away.

 phone call away

-

-

IT IS A SIMPLE DAY. The usual activities happening with me, myself, and I in a Manchester house as I video chat with far away friends while eating a lot of food simultaneously. It's a simple day until I get an unknown phone call after I briefly sit and contemplate if I want to answer the call or not.

And I choose to answer it. And it's Calum, my kind of stepbrother. I think.

"How'd you get my phone number?" I question the boy. It seems to be the last thing on Calum's mind because he completely dodges my curious question.

"You need to speak to your dad, Niall. He's your father and you should have a relationship with your parents if you have the opportunity to," Calum tells me.

His opinion. Calum's unnecessary, unneeded, undesirable opinion makes me clench up. From the strain in my brain down to my flexible toes. An abrupt wave of anger rushes through me. My fist clench then unclench repeatedly at the irrelevance of Calum, a secondary son. Someone who knows nothing about me or my perspective of my father.

"You do not know me," the words leave my mouth as a simple warning.

"Are you sure, Niall? Are you sure I don't know what it feels like to be alone? To not have both parents, woman and male?" Calum asks. "My dad announced to our family he was gay right after he left my mom for a man. My dad got married to a man months ago and our family hasn't been the same ever since. Are you sure I don't know you, now?"

His words cause me to think—think about the similarity between Calum and myself. It hurts that it's true we're the same or somehow similar. It all hurts, this reality, and instead of venting about it to Calum, I disconnect the call by hanging up. Already moving onto the next task: readying myself for an afternoon shift at Colourful Sandwiches.

Hopefully the many hours spent there will take these burdens off of my mind.

-

-

-

I'm thinking of writing five epilogues. Like in chronological order of relevant events that happen after the last chapter. Is that something someone would want, or just a simple epilogue will just do? Comment, comment, comment.