Chapter 7: Misfortune

I gasped for breath as I was being pulled out from my hair from the tub of cold water. Four servants held on to me as I kneeled against the floor while Court Lady Yoon pushes my head down in to the water once again.

I can't breathe! Someone...help!

At that moment, I thought of my family back in Seoul. How everyone never ever dared to leave a finger on me. I took their love and care for granted.

"Now you still dare to talk back to me? I shall see you to your death!" The Queen rages.

I have no idea how long I was in the punishment room when Court Lady Yoon finally stopped pushing me in to the tub of water upon the Queen's orders. I got choked and coughed really badly, my vision blurry and my nostrils hurting from breathing in too much water.

"Declare to me right now! Where is my jade necklace?!" The Queen bellows as she looked at me in disgusts.

"I...I n-never...s-steal...y-y-your...necklace..." I was struggling to prove my innocence but no matter what I said, the Queen does not comply to my answers.

"Liar! Tie her to the chair!"

My body got lifted up roughly as I was dragged to the wooden chair. My hands and feet were being tied up tightly with ropes and I was unable to move. Not that I still have any energy left to tackle the people in this room.

"Slap her till she admits her wrongdoings!"

Once again, I was tortured to my death. My cheeks were already numb that I felt nothing. Blood started oozing out from my lips as I could taste the metallic taste as I breathed in.

Suddenly, there were quite a number of footsteps rushing in and I heard Court Lady Oh's voice.

"My Queen."

"What do you want?" The Queen stood infront of Court Lady Oh, looking down at Court Lady Oh to make her feel small and weak.

"My Queen, I beg of you to release Princess Hara on my behalf." She lowers her body.

"On your behalf? What would you offer me?" The Queen sneered.

"I would do anything you ask for. Please release Princess Hara." She bends down even lower, nearly suffocating her fetus.

"Well." The Queen turns towards Court Lady Yoon and dismisses her. I was gasping for breath and rested my head against the chair.

Thank God...

"I want you to kill your baby by drinking poison."

Upon hearing the sentence, both Court Lady Oh and I looked towards the Queen.

"No...!" I defended weakly. "Don't..."

Court Lady Oh was silent, her face was stressed up as she knew it was a difficult task to do. As she made eye contact with me, her watery eyes transmit a signal to me she has decided to do it in order to save me.

"No don't do it...!" I shake my head as hard as I could, frustrated that I couldn't go over to stop her.

She nods her head to me determinedly as she faces the Queen. "I shall obey your orders." Tears poured down her eyes as she bows down.

The Queen started laughing out loud, unable to stop her happiness upon Court Lady Oh's misery.

//

I was released from the punishment room and we were all gathered in the Queen's chamber. Princess Yumi, Court Lady Oh, Court Lady Yoon and other servants were present. There was a bowl of dark liquid in the middle of the room, resting upon a mini table.

"Well Court Lady Oh?" The Queen threatens as she signals for Court Lady Yoon to offer the dark liquid to Court Lady Oh.

All of the people present had an uncomfortable look on their faces as Court Lady Oh accepts the offer.

"Don't drink Court Lady Oh!" I cried alarmingly.

The Queen was glaring at her, challenging her to take up the dare, challenging her to do what she said she would do.

Court Lady Oh took a deep breath and gulped down the dark liquid. Princess Yumi and the servants turned away, unbearable to witness the cruelty. The world seemed to stop for me as I screamed with all my might, I rushed towards Court Lady Oh and my hand only touching by the bowl by one second before I pushed it away with my strength.

However, it was too late.

Court Lady Oh was spatting out blood profusely and her face was distraught. She clenched on to her stomach as she vomits out blood.

"Court Lady Oh!! Why would you drink it!" I blamed her as I hugged on to her.

The Queen herself was shocked as well, not believing she actually drank it.

Court Lady Oh shifts me away as she crawls painfully towards the Queen. She grasped on to the Queen's hanbok with her bloody hands as she begs weakly, "S-Save m-my child-d..."

"S-spare...my...b-bab..." She was gasping for air as she tries her hardest to say conscious.

A trail of blood started to trickle down her leg and she screamed in misery.

The Queen gulped down her saliva and insist on saying more cruel things, "Y-You should have gone away but yet you insisted in staying by the King's side. Now see what happened to you."

The Queen laughs mercilessly as she looks down fiercely at Court Lady Oh.

How horrible. This world is horrible.

Not able to hold on any longer, Court Lady Oh fainted.

"Call for the doctor!" Princess Yumi ordered anxiously but the Queen doesn't stop her.