Chapter 9: Afternoon Tea

It's been a week since the funeral of Princess Yumi. Her father, Cabinet Minister Kim was dismissed from his position. He was kicked out of the palace as the King feared that he would bring more harm to his people. The family basically has become bankrupt as all of their possession was burnt away by citizens of Goryeo. Everywhere they went, they were despised by people and no one pitied them.

In the palace, no one dared speak of Yumi's name and everybody were just pretending to be busy to avoid any conversations. The incident and the positive reputation of Princess Yumi were just tarnished in a night.

I was being treated differently as well, but in a good way. People in the palace no longer looked down on me but sympathise me wherever I go. Though my parents were furious with the fact that the royalty have mistreated me when they benefitted the household so much, the King and Queen managed to diffuse their anger with some other alternative.

"My Hara!" An older woman and a man who was well-groomed and wearing high status outfit appeared at my door and rushes over to hug me. I was bewildered as I look towards Areum and Rin for assistance.

"How are you feeling? Do you still feel hurt anywhere?"

'Who are they?' I tried to transmit my thoughts to my servants, hoping they would catch it but they just stood there blankly like blockheads.

"Oh my poor baby, you must have been shocked to not be able to talk to me. Come sit down, I have prepared your favourite dishes for you." The woman ordered my servants to bring the basket of food to the table.

I stood dumbfounded, not knowing what to do. Who the hell are they?

"Listen to your mother Hara, sit down." The man said in a deep voice.

Ah...so they were Princess Hara's parents. But how should I react?

I sat down according to what Hara's father, or my father, suggested. My mother releases the cover of the basket to reveal an amount of tasty looking pink rice crackers. She took them out and places in front of me and a few other plates of unfamiliar traditional food.

"This are your favourite! I still remember you insists of having pink coloured rice crackers and I had to crack my brains to think of how to use food dye to colour them pink!" My mother laughed as she happily places one on the plate for me.

"Ah..haha?" I laughed awkwardly as I look at the food infront of me.

"Here, have some of this rice cake with red bean paste as well."

"Eat up." My father offered as he grins widely.

"What a splendid reunion Minister Park. Greetings to you Lady Park." We all turned to see the 3rd Prince by the entrance, grinning from ear to ear.

What's he doing here?

"Ah 3rd  Prince! Come inside and join us!" My father stood up happily to offer a seat. "Bring in some tea for the prince!" My father ordered the servants.

"Yes sir." They bowed before leaving.

I stare at the sight of the 3rd  Prince, my heart unknowingly pounding like crazy even though I knew this person was not someone to joke with. He really, really, resembles Hong Jong Hyun without the black eyeliner drawn on his inner eyelids.

"How are you feeling, Princess Hara?" He flashes me a smile and I immediately blush.

Both of my parents laughed out loud as my father said, "Why are you blushing Hara? I know the 3rd  Prince has really good looks."

"U-Uh...I..." I was speechless and smitten by his smile.

The 3rd  Prince chuckles before continuing, "Ah, so have you decided to accept the request?"

"Request?" I asked curiously. What request?

The 3rd Prince looked at me and was about to say something but my father quickly answers, "Ah haha yes. How could we refuse such an honourable request from you my Prince? Thank you for accepting our Hara as your first wife."

The rice cracker that was about to enter my mouth drop on the plate as I coughed out loud.

"Oh my, hurry, pour some tea for Princess Hara! Eat slowly my dear..." I quickly accept the cup of rose tea and drinks it.

"W-what? First wife?" I exclaimed after re-composing.

I could see the 3rd Prince's expression immediately turns dark at my sudden exclaim. "It seemed like Princess Hara does not know."

"Oh no no! She does! But you know, she's just too excited that's why she had this kind of reaction. Right Hara?" My father looks at me with pleading eyes.

"Y-yes. I-I just forgotten about it at that moment." I nodded and smiled to assure the prince.

He instantly changes his emotion to a happy one, "That's settled then. I shall call in my minister to hand you the documents to sign for acceptance." He stood up and bow slightly before leaving my room.

"Congratulations my daughter! I knew you were the best!" Both my parents seemed proud of me as they fed me more snacks.

What about Princess Yumi? Do I really have the right to be the first wife?

//

After signing the deal, a grandeur celebration was held in the dining hall. The Queen had insisted to have a grand celebration even though the funeral had just passed.

Areum and Rin helped me to dressed up and put on make up for the celebration.

"Congratulations Princess Hara!" Areum congratulated ecstatically.

"You look so gorgeous tonight. I'm sure the Prince would love you even more!" Rin added.

"Thank you." I said softly as I looked into the copper mirror. My reflection was of a beautiful lady but the sadness and unsurely in her eyes tainted the beauty.

Should I really go with the flow? Wouldn't I disrupt the history that has already been written? Damn...why didn't I study history better? I could've known more about Princess Hara and make wiser choices for her.