Prologue

☁︎

Thoughts.

Thoughts are always roaming around, somewhere, in someone's head.

Bad and good thoughts alike.

Dark thoughts, insightful thoughts, lustful thoughts, just plain-old-stupid-questions-that-popped-into-the-brain-without-permission thoughts.

Maybe that's why I couldn't escape them. Because there were so many--too many--around me. Swirling around everyone's mind throughout the day, seeping into my own without my consent.

I'd learned to live with it. I'd learned to  accept it. I was special. I couldn't help it. But it was a harsh reality I never thought I'd have to face.

Knowing exactly what people thought of this world. Of the ones around them. Of themselves.

Yes, I'd learned to accept it. But I'd never stop trying to make this strange and startling ability disappear from my life.

So far however, I was forced to listen to people's thoughts without ceasing.

With no way to escape my fate.

~•~•~•~•~

"Are you even paying attention?" Hye's shrilly voice pierced through my thoughts.

I blinked and paused for a single wavering moment.

"Of course, keep going!" I replied in a tone just as annoying.

It was back to normal Geum Shin Anna. The one everyone knew and loved and hated. I knew who loved me, I knew who hated me. I knew who wanted to be like me, and I knew who actually liked me. I even knew who didn't care about me. I couldn't control knowing. I just did.

"Good. Anyway as I was saying, I think Kyung likes me. And at first I was like 'ew, stay away' but then I saw him again and I was like 'huh', you know?" She continued.

I held in a long, loud groan. And an eye roll. I knew who Kyung actually liked, and it wasn't her. But I didn't have the heart to tell her that all the looks he'd been giving her was only when she was with me. It wasn't my fault. It just happened. I nodded and added a shrieking "yes!" and "oh my gosh!" as she spoke, trying to sound interested. But I couldn't really keep up with her excited speed talking. We walked in a painfully slow manner to our classroom, but I dealt with it and kept the pace. So it was confusing when I ran into that boy. I was in the middle of yawning as subtly as possible, so maybe I hadn't seen him, or maybe he was in a hurry and wasn't looking. In any case, I felt myself crash shoulders with someone beside me.

"Woah! Sorry!" I turned to look at the victim.

A tall boy with short brown hair glared down at me through his thick glasses. Without a reply, he snapped his head forward and kept walking hurriedly down the hallway.

"Huh," I said softly as I stood there.

"Okay, then. Rude." Hye actually stopped talking about Kyung for five seconds.

"Who was that?" I asked, almost whispering.

"Who cares?" She sniffed, "Whatever, so I'm thinking about flirting with him and seeing how he reacts."

She rambled on about Kyung, but I stopped listening. I watched his head bobbing angrily through the crowd and around the corner, my mouth slightly open. Stunned. Because, we'd made contact, but I'd heard absolutely nothing.

His mind was completely silent.

                                 ☁︎

namjoon+anna >> "Let It All Go" - Birdy & Rhodes