Chapter Ten

☁︎

Anna

That night consisted of a lot of tossing and turning. All I could do was attempt to force Seokjin's thoughts out of my memory. Every time I closed my eyes they crashed back into me. I'd been trying to so hard to avoid his mind for so long, but he'd actually grabbed me. I grimaced in recollection, raising my hand above my head to study it.

When he'd made contact with me, it was like a siren going off in my head. I'd started using all my strength to repress any thoughts. I was desperate to block him; it was like nothing I'd ever done before. Then a searing pain had shot through my head. I winced at the thought of it. Heaving a long sigh, a brought my arm back down and turned onto my side.

Something else kept me up that night. Kim Namjoon. Or his actions at least. Had he been trying to help me? I suppose it had been a situation where one would need help. A boy had grabbed me, a supposedly helpless girl. But how was it that he was there? Why did it have to be him who saw my embarrassing encounter with Jin? I knew I'd acted like such a child, but I was panicked. And now the boy who I had to face every other day had seen my weakness. So had the one who bothered me perpetually. Two was too many. My reaction to Jin's touch had made it clearly obvious that I had some sort of problem.

I just hoped at least Jin was too blind too see it. But I couldn't even imagine Namjoon letting it go.

☁︎

I paused at the library door, praying desperately that the class president hadn't arrived yet. Feeling ridiculous, I peaked around the corner, searching for him in the dispersing cloud of students heading to lunch and other classes. I narrowed my eyes when he was no where to be seen. Did that mean he was already in the library? Or that he was late? Either way, I was annoyed.

"Anna?" A deep voice made me jump and swivel around.

Kim Namjoon stood at the library entrance, his backpack and lunch box in hand. I realized he'd come up from the opposite hallway. I blinked and immediately stepped away from the corner. When I was silent, the two of us stood there for a second in overpowering awkwardness.

"Um, are you ready...? Or..." he trailed off, frowning slightly.

I adjusted my backpack and stepped towards the door, walking in before him. I listened to him walk in after me and close the door. We sat at the same table as before, and pulled out our things. I had a feeling both of us wanted this lesson to be different from the last, but I didn't know how to start it.

In all honesty, I had zero to no people skills. People came and talked to me and I responded. But all Namjoon did was stare into space, equally quiet as me. How was anything going to begin if both of us were this introverted? I sighed, loudly by accident. Namjoon raised his eyebrows at me. I looked down at my book quickly.

Just say something. Just say anything. We can't have another useless lesson, Anna, I told myself. Think about studying internationally. What school is gonna want you if you can't even start a conversation? I nodded to myself, taking in a deep breath. Reminding myself how easy it was, how I could do it, I opened my mouth to start.

"Do you have a fear of physical touch? Not that it's my business or anything...I'm just kind of...curious..." Namjoon spoke up first, immediately looking regretful about his question.

I just stared at him in slight surprise. It was obvious he was talking about the other day with Seokjin. But I decided to question him anyway.