Chapter Thirty-Five

☁︎

Namjoon

"You want us to bake buns?"

"Red bean buns to be exact. And yes, exactly. It won't take you long," Teacher Kwan told us. "I've already set out the ingredients."

"But, Teacher, we don't--"

"Principal Seo told me you two were here for punishment. So perhaps you shouldn't really complain." She sent us one of those passive aggressive smiles. "I'll be outside setting up tables if you need help."

I watched somberly as the teacher left Kim Seokjin and I alone in the school kitchen. He'd only just arrived, so this was my second time hearing Teacher Kwan explain the directions and how to work the ovens. Baking was the last thing I'd expected, but I found it at least better than having to converse with strangers.

I glanced at Seokjin after that thought. But maybe talking with strangers would be better.

Seokjin returned my glance, looking very annoyed. Then clicked his tongue and jumped up to sit on one of the counters.

"Well, have fun," he told me.

I sighed, wondering whether I should somehow make him help me. If Anna were here, she wouldn't be having any of his nonsense. "Text me if Seokjin gives you any trouble, understand?" She'd said before I left the cafe. I'd been hesitant to leave after being able to hang out with her and Jimin.

Realizing that calmed me down slightly, knowing I had people that I hadn't wanted to part with. Even if the need was only slight. It was such a relaxing thought that I quietly set to work making the red bean buns without complaint. Seokjin could do whatever he wanted to at this point. I just wanted to finish here and go back to the cafe.

"Do you even know how to bake?" He asked suddenly after a few minutes of silence.

I paused on reading the written directions, glancing to Seokjin in surprise. He was looking up from his phone with mild interest. I realized whatever he was looking at was probably getting boring. Boring enough that he would talk to me with such a small amount of disdain.

"Not really," I murmured truthfully.

He scoffed and fell silent again for a few moments. I was just about to continue reading when he spoke up again.

"How are you planning on making anything then?" Seokjin asked me.

"I'm reading the directions," I replied, perhaps trying to hint at the fact that I was trying to read.

The cycle repeated when he talked to me yet again when I was about to return to the directions.

"Do you even know which ingredient is which?" He asked me.

I turned around to face him completely.

"Seokjin, if you're so interested in how little I know about baking, why don't you just come and do it yourself?" I asked him abruptly.

He watched me for a second before scowling and looking down at his phone again. That's what I thought. I breathed in slowly and attempted to read again. By the time I was finished going over what I needed to do, Seokjin was lounging in the nearby corner, dozing off. I sent him a disapproving look before setting off to find the first ingredient. The recipe had told me I needed to make the dough first, so I looked around for a bowl to use.

By the time I'd found all the ingredients for the actual bun part, Seokjin looked to be completely asleep. Anna texted me at that moment.

"What is Principal Seo having you do?"