Chapter Two

☁︎

Namjoon

The boy was very tall, maybe taller than I was. He had soft brown hair and large lips. His face held the expression of an annoyed rich kid who wished to be at his mansion, not in the presence of smelly high school students and drooling girls. So of course, I immediately disliked him. To make things worse, his seat was right next to mine. I tried to keep my head turned away from him, to stare straight ahead at the board, but we had fifteen minutes till class started. Since it was the first day, many student had also arrived fairly early. At least, you aren't alone with him. Maybe he won't say anything to you. I nodded slightly, hopeful. A few girls had already come over and tried to make conversation with him.

"So what school did you go to last year?" A student with long dark hair asked sweetly.

"Well, I was tutored privately, through elementary school, then I ended up attending my sixth, seventh, and eighth year in the US. When I moved back, I started attending Danwon Academy, now I'm here," he said with a shrug.

I tried so hard to stifle a loud sigh, so very hard. Because I didn't want any bad attention. I didn't want anyone turning my way. I didn't have time to talk to people. But I just couldn't hold in the small grunt of disappointment. It had been too difficult. There was no way I would be able to pay attention in class with this new student beside me.

"Something wrong?" The boy asked me in annoyance.

I sighed and shook my head at myself. How had he even noticed the small sound I'd made? I wondered how insecure he was to have taken offense by it.

Still looking ahead, I said in a low voice, "no, sorry. I'm just thinking to myself."

"It's no big deal," Nadia, the girl who'd asked, said.

I turned to her, she was giving me a "don't ruin this for me" look. I finally turned to him, slightly startled at his piercing glare.

"Oh yeah? About what exactly?" He asked.

"Jin, just ignore him," Nadia said.

The boy now had a name. Jin ignored her instead, still giving me a death stare. I stared back with a serious expression, wondering what he would do. And how I should respond.

"How can I ignore this punk who thinks I'm stupid enough to believe that sorry excuse?" Jin snapped. "I know you laughed at me, so what's wrong? Tell me."

Nadia looked taken aback. I almost felt the same.

"Jin, you really shouldn't--"

"What? What's he gonna do?" Jin smirked. "Look at him."

"Jin, I'm serious--"

"Class President!" A familiar voice suddenly called.

I looked up to see Jung Hoseok hurrying towards me.

"Yes?" I said.

"New student today." He grinned excitedly. "Have you heard?"

"Aren't we all new?" I pointed out.

"You know what I mean."

A look of realization was finally registering on Jin's face. His scowl twisted into surprise.

"Yes, well, I've already met him." I turned back to Jin.

"Oh. Uh, sorry, I guess," he said, suddenly looking at the board.

"It's all right," I told him simply, emotionless.

Because it wasn't.

"Ah, President, you're so cold." Hoseok shook his head and turned to Jin.

"Welcome! I'm Jung Hoseok!" He said.

"Kim Seokjin. Call me Jin," Jin replied, his easy tone returned.

I sighed and leaned back in my seat, wishing, once again, that he wasn't right beside me. I tried to ignore the growing number of girls surrounding him as more students walked in. I shook my head and watched people arrive, taking notice to each familiar and unfamiliar face. Unsurprisingly, the last of the students to walk in was Geum Shin Anna, her annoying friend Choi Hye trailing right behind, talking loudly. Anna's eyes wandered around the classroom, looking surprisingly distant. It looked almost as if she was ignoring her friend. Strange, I thought. Anna's cold gray eyes landed on me, and she started to walk over, Hye still following.

"Kim Namjoon?" Anna asked simply.

"Yes."

We watched each other for a moment. I noticed, strange as it seemed, that she wasn't looking into my eyes. It was more like my forehead that she was watching.

"Well?" Hye snapped. "Where are our seats?"

I handed them the chart silently. Hye snatched it away and studied it briefly.

"No! Anna, we aren't next to each other!" She whined.

Anna carefully took it from her hand, ignoring her complaints, and also studied it slowly.

"Is there anyway you can change it?" She asked without raising her eyes.

"No. You'll just have to wait till next quarter, maybe then you'll be together," I replied, assuming she was asking me.

"No." Her icy gaze finally met mine, but for barely a moment, before returning to my forehead. "I meant so I don't have to sit beside him."

I wasn't shocked at her ever-pleasant bluntness, but it did make me a bit relieved that I wasn't the only one who disliked Jin. Her eyes were now on him as chatted with the girls.

"Sorry," I said.

Hye stuck out her bottom lip and grabbed Anna's arm. Anna suddenly tensed ever so slightly as she made contact, but I shrugged it off as Hye dragged her away. I frowned down at my desk. I'd never talked to her before, but now I was sure everything I'd gathered from seeing her from afar was true. Anna had always been one of the most well-known and sought after girls at our school, but I never understood why. She always had a cold, calculating gaze, even when her mouth was turned into a seemingly bright smile. Not to mention, her personality matched her eyes, she was blunt and rude when she wanted to be, any enthusiasm she showed seemed forced. Rejecting smitten boys was like second nature to her. All I could figure was that she was popular because of her looks. It wasn't hard to see that she was easily the most attractive student at the academy.

"Hello class!" A deep voice interrupted my thoughts.

I quickly stood.

"Attention students!" I said loudly.

"Hello, teacher," everyone chanted, bowing with me.

The class started and my thoughts about Anna slowly disappeared.

Junior year had begun.