Chapter Six

☁︎

Anna

"Ah, Anna," Teacher Park greeted as I walked in. "Thank you for coming so early today."

I smiled and nodded, taking a seat at his desk.

"Why did you want to see me, Teacher?" I asked, stifling a yawn.

Teacher Park had emailed me the night before about some sort of "opportunity" that would "look good on my college applications." But seeing him privately meant waking up an hour earlier than normal.

"As I mentioned in the email, this would really spruce up your applications. I know you're looking to study abroad, correct?" He continued.

I nodded, tired but interested.

"Well, Anna, I'll get to the point. You're my top history student. Almost all of your marks have been perfect ever since you were a first year," Teacher park began.

I nodded again, waiting expectantly.

"And I'm sure you know Kim Namjoon, the class president..."

My stomach dropped. I realized I didn't like wherever he was going with this. Kim Namjoon...?

"Well, he's an equally talented student, Anna. Exceeding expectations in every class...except history," He explained, rubbing the back of his balding head.

Please no.

"He's a proud student, and I know he wouldn't want an adult to help him out. So I was thinking you and him could have study sessions, you know, so you can help him out."

"So you're telling me to be a tutor?" I asked in disbelief, accidentally making eye contact.

        ...Listen to that disrespectful    
               speech...

I blinked and looked down again.

"...Teacher Park..." I finished, feeling my face heat.

"Well, not exactly. Think of it as a "study buddy" sort of thing," he said.

I could feel my chest tighten, embarrassment still welling in my stomach. I hardly ever caught the thoughts of adults. Feeling cornered, I did the only thing I could at that point.

"I'll do it. Teacher Park," I responded quietly, bowing my head.

"Wonderful! I'll email you with more details." He began to gather papers, evening them out.

I knew he wanted me to leave now. I didn't have to read his mind to understand that. So I bowed my head again and stood.

"Thank you," I said.

"Oh and Anna," Teacher Park said as I reached the door. "Perhaps you could try to get to know Namjoon a bit better. He's a quieter student, you know."

"Yes, Teacher Park."

With that, I stepped out into the hall. As soon as I was alone and out of sight, I let a curse slip from my mouth. Angry slid down my body and my breathing got heavier. I'm going to be tutoring that entitled little punk? I grit my teeth in thought of sitting and trying help Mr. Know-it-all with history. I could imagine him brushing me off as a lesser, ignorant girl who had no idea what she was talking about. I clenched my fists, trying to calm my breathing. Somehow, the fact that I still couldn't figure out how I remembered him added to my dislike for him. I swallowed hard and tried to turn to better thoughts. You hardly know him. Maybe he isn't that much of a jerk? At least not as much as you are...I relaxed my hands and stared at the floor.

"Excuse me," a deep voice interrupted my small inner-battle.

I blinked and glanced up, coming face to face with the boy who was about to ruin my life. Kim Namjoon waited expectantly for me to move. I stood still for a second, watching his eyebrows carefully, considering if I should comply. I could feel his blank eyes analyze me back. Making me slightly uncomfortable. After another second, I took a small step to the wall beside the door. He walked into the classroom without another glance at me. I turned my head and watched his back as he went to greet Teacher Park. I could feel my eyes narrow as he sat. I supposed my gaze had been so intense, because he suddenly began to move his head towards me.

With a sigh, I stepped away and started towards my locker, somehow shaken from the whole ordeal.

☁︎

Namjoon

"I would ask you to join us, but I feel like I already know the answer," Hoseok said as I packed my books.

I shrugged in reply. He sent me a wide grin.

"Aish, President, you're so predictable," he commented, shaking his head.

"Maybe n--"

"Next time?" He finished with me, giving me a dubious gaze.

I opened my mouth to protest, but he shook his head and slid off the desk beside me.

"See you later, Namjoon," Hoseok said, his smile wide.

I held back a sigh and continued to pack my belongings. There was nothing wrong with visiting the library. Even if it was during lunch. I subconsciously began to chew on my lips, but stopped when a voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Where are they going?" Jin watched Hoseok and his friends leave with mild curiosity.

I glanced at him in slight surprise, then followed his gaze.

"Lunch," I replied simply, before standing.

"Ah." He nodded as I swung my backpack around my shoulders, still looking at the exit.

"Hoseok's nice," I told him.

Jin finally turned to look at me.

"What?"

"I'm saying he wouldn't mind if you went with them," I elaborated.

Jin scoffed at this, suddenly reminding me of my strong dislike for him.

"Thanks for that information. But I'm waiting for someone," he explained, still smirking.

I frowned and nodded. Anna walked by at that moment. Jin suddenly stood and sent me a wink, before walking out the classroom door after her. I shook my head, standing beside my desk for a moment. Then I headed to the library. There's nothing wrong with studying all the time, I reminded myself as I walked out.

☁︎

I held my breath as I opened the email Teacher Park had sent me. It would be informing me of which student would be in charge of ruining my life. Right as I clicked on it, I couldn't help but squeeze my eyes shut. Please. Please. Please. I don't know what I was begging for. Maybe I was praying Teacher Park was actually emailing to tell me I wouldn't need a tutor? But I knew I couldn't get that lucky. Licking my dry lips, I slowly opened my eyes.

"Kim Namjoon, I'm pleased to inform you that I've found the perfect student to assist you in your studies..." I read under my breath.

"Geum Shin Anna."

I froze, my jaw going slack. My throat going dry. I suddenly felt dizzy. Out of all the students in my grade. Out of everyone in that school. It had to be her.

"You've got to be kidding me."