Chapter Twenty-Four

☁︎

Namjoon

That next morning was probably the worst I'd ever experienced.

The weight of such a strong sense of disappointment in waking up in my own, quiet room pressed down on me like a thousand tons of water. All I'd wanted was for the night to never end. But it had. Somehow, Anna had turned around and been the realistic one. After an hour and a half had passed of just feeling truly free, she finally got me to walk back out into the cold air. We both knew of the consequences if we didn't return back to my house on time. Well, Anna knew there would be consequences, but only I knew what they'd be.

I sighed and stared up at my boring ceiling. Everything about my room just seemed so boring. Everything about my house, despite its large size, seemed boring. My life was boring. "The life that consists of a slow, suffocating, colorless death..." Anna had called it. And she was so completely right. But doing something about it was wrong. I couldn't.

I'd had my fun. Now it had to come to an end.

☁︎

Anna

"What are your thoughts on buying this shop and turning it into a social media trends store?"

"No comment. That wouldn't even work, anyway."

"Wait, you just said 'no comment.' That second part was a comment."

"Forget it, Jimin. And where did that even come from anyway?" I asked the smaller boy.

He shrugged, then continued his sweeping. I shook my head and continued my attempt to unjam the cash register.

"Besides, this cafe probably makes more money than your social trends store would ever make," I pointed out.

"It's not about the profit, Anna. It's about fulfilling dreams, you know?"

"Opening a social media trends store is your dream?" I asked, looking up from the cash register to give him a dubious look.

"Well, no. But I sure there's someone in the world who'd want to go to one," Jimin replied, also pausing his work.

"Yeah. Okay."

"Besides, how do you know how much money we'd make?" He asked me, suddenly defensive.

I shook my head again, wondering why we were having this conversation in the first place. Then the door bell tingled as someone stepped inside. Jimin looked towards it, and his eyes immediately lit up.

"Taehyung-ah!"

"Oh, Jimin!" The new comer replied with a grin.

I watched as Jimin jogged over to the taller boy and pulled him into a hug.

"I thought you couldn't come today," Jimin said to the boy named Taehyung.

"Plans changed. Oh, I hope you don't mind; I brought a friend with me," Taehyung replied. "The one I told you about."

The bell jingled again as another young boy jogged in. I immediately recognized him as Jeon Jungkook. Seeing him brought a small sense of happiness rushing through my stomach. I blinked and looked away as the boys greeted each other, feeling almost intrusive. Though I was slightly happy to see Jungkook, I almost wished it was still just Jimin and me chatting. It felt weird to talk to someone other than Namjoon so openly, but I liked the feeling. It was almost as if Jimin and I were becoming friends.

Namjoon! I suddenly remembered. I jumped up from my stool and hurried to my bag. When I finally had the phone in hand, I realized I really didn't know what I wanted to say to him. I just felt as if I should say something. I narrowed my eyes at the blank screen, feeling silly.

"Noona?" A familiar voice brought my attention away from the coat rack by the kitchen door.

I turned around to see Jungkook standing at the front counter.

"Oh, hello, Jungkook. Can I help you?" I asked, walking back to my station.

He just watched me with those puppy dog eyes, but I was careful not to look into them. After a moment of silence, Taehyung came up behind him, wrapping an arm over his shoulders.

"Have you ordered?"

"Huh?...No, not yet," Jungkook replied, looking down.

Taehyung finally looked to me as Jimin grabbed his broom and joined our little gathering.

"Oh, yeah. Jungkook and Taehyung, this is Geum Shin Anna. She's my Noonim here at the cafe," Jimin said.

They bowed politely, and Jimin introduced them to me in turn.

"Actually, Anna Noona and I already know each other," Jungkook shared when Jimin was done.

"Really? How?" Taehyung asked.

I liked him, he didn't seem like a perverted jerk.

"She's friends with my next door neighbor," Jungkook explained.

It was then that I heard a faint buzzing. Jimin seemed to as well.

He began to glance around, then interrupted the conversation with, "Are any of your guys' phones going off?"

I spun around and zipped back to the coat rack when Taehyung and Jungkook both shook their heads. When I saw the caller ID, my eyes widened. Grabbing my phone, I stepped into the large pantry for some privacy.

"Namjoon?" I answered.

"Anna." He spoke quietly.

"Yes? Why'd you call?"

"I have to go back, Anna. Tonight."