Chapter Twenty-Eight

☁︎

Namjoon

As excited as I was for Hoseok, the person who I really wanted to see, the main reason I'd returned, was Gloss. I wanted to see him perform again so badly I thought I might burst. And I wasn't even sure he was coming on tonight. All I could do was wait, in bittersweet agony. I felt too embarrassed to ask the boys around me if they knew, for whatever reason. Maybe I was scared they would be interested in why I wanted to see Gloss. The only person I would allow to know about my interests was Anna. And even telling her was a stretch.

And somehow, despite all the enthusiasm I couldn't help but show, she knew. Maybe from the glances I sent to the side of the stage, or when I looked down at my watch hesitantly.

"I'm sure he'll come on, Class President, just enjoy yourself," Anna told me after an hour or so had passed.

I blinked and turned to her in surprise.

"W-what are you talking about?" I asked as casually as possible.

But it was hard to sound casual when you're yelling over loud music and people cheering at the top of their lungs. I watched as Anna shook her head and turned back to the performance happening at the moment. I tried to do the same, but after a few more minutes had passed, I felt a tap on my arm.

"Come find the bathroom with me," Anna said, pulling my sleeve.

My eyes widened in slight shock.

"Oh gosh. I'm not asking you to come in with me! Just help me find it!" She exclaimed with exasperation.

"Oh. Right," I mumbled. "I know that."

I followed her as she ducked through the crowd, skillfully sliding past the people around us with barely any contact. I supposed years of having a phobia like hers made you good at that kind of thing. Even still, she confused me. Although I was a bit nervous that Gloss would come on right as I took my eyes off the stage, it did feel nice to find a less crowded area in the club. We ended up against the wall, underneath the balcony lining it above us.

Anna glanced around for the bathroom, so I followed in searching. We walked along the wall, maybe looking for some sort of door or hallway that lead to our destination. I hadn't even realized we were growing closer to the stage until we were almost right in front of it.

"Anna." I grabbed her arm. "Maybe we should back--"

"I guess you're planning on joining me?" A voice asked suddenly.

It sounded too close and direct to be some random speaker around us, so I glanced up. My eyes widened, mouth falling slightly open in shock when I realized who had spoken. Anna and I were standing right in front of Gloss himself. I let go of Anna's arm and quickly tried to compose myself.

"Uh, well, actually..." I swallowed hard. "We, you see, we aren't really--"

"We're looking for the bathroom," Anna said.

"Guys!" Another voice piped up.

Hoseok suddenly appeared, sweating and red-faced. I watched in confusion as he wrapped an arm over Gloss's thin frame.

"How was my performance?" Hoseok asked, completely missing my look of surprise. "I know for a fact the audience was loudest for me, but whatever. Taemin deserved it anyway. My ankle is kind of sore today..."

"D-do you guys...know each other?" I asked, accidentally interrupting Hoseok's rambling.

"Oh? Oh! Right! Guys, meet Min--ow!"

Gloss had rammed an elbow into Hoseok's open side.

"Aish! Fine! Gloss, his name is Gloss. You're not even performing yet," Hoseok complained, rubbing his ribs.

"Yes, well, nice to meet you..." Anna shared a look with me.

"Ah! Bathroom! Where's the bathroom?!" I exclaimed, feeling a bit overwhelmed.

"Oh, I'll show you, Anna," Hoseok said.

Anna nodded gratefully and followed him back the way we came. I watched them go anxiously, then turned back to Gloss. He was suddenly a lot more intimidating now that we were alone.

"Um...sorry...I..."

"Wow," he suddenly said, shaking his head.

I blinked in confusion.

"Uh, what?"

"You...you really don't remember me?" Gloss asked me, a blank look on his face.

I realized he was almost the complete opposite off stage than he was on stage, with little to no emotion.

"Well, I...what?"

"Kim Namjoon? Namjoon. Class President. I mean, I was a year above you...but still."

"Wait, what? You know me?" I asked.

He knew me? I was known by this guy? Excitement started to fill my stomach.

"In middle school. We went to the same school," Gloss began to explain. "I guess I was a bit of a loser. It makes sense you don't remember me. Your head was always stuck in a book."

"I...I'm sorry. You're right; I didn't really make any friends in middle school..."

"It really is a shock to see you here. Never thought I'd see the star goodie-two-shoes at a night club," he said with a slight smirk.

"What was your name? I mean-- what is your name?" I corrected myself, feeling my face heat in embarrassment.

Of course, it's not like he's changed his name to Gloss permanently, Namjoon. You're the smartest person in your class and yet you ask a question lik--

"Min Yoongi. But don't tell people..."

Min Yoongi.

His name was Min Yoongi.

I felt my breath catch in my throat. Suddenly all I could hear was my pounding heart.

That was all I needed to hear. It suddenly became very clear as to why he remembered me. It suddenly made so much sense as to why I didn't remember him.

Min Yoongi.

He'd only entered my life at one crucial moment. A moment that I wanted to forget, that I'd shoved down into the back of head to be forgotten. Min Yoongi.

The rapper who's voice had been in my head for twenty four hours, who'd almost become like an inspiration over the course of a single day, the person who I thought was a complete stranger but who I wanted to be exactly like, Min Yoongi. This was the boy who'd been there.

Min Yoongi had been there the first time I tried to jump.

A/N: Sorry for the slow update!! School life has been really busy, and I'm facing another writer's block. I have all these directions I want to take the story, but I don't know how to get there, you know?

Anyway, thanks for reading!!