Chapter Thirty-Three

☁︎

Anna

"Jin's killing him, in the cafeteria!"

I stood without thinking, immediately shoving past her and to the exit. I left both the nurse and Hye standing in the office without a second thought. All I could think about was stopping all of this from happening. Mad as I was, there was no way I'd let Seokjin hurt Namjoon.

I raced down the hallway, past confused kids and angry teachers. My head pounded, and I still felt as though I would double over at any second due to the lack of food in my system. But I found myself very disinterested in any of that. It was almost scary. When I finally got to the cafeteria, my heart was skipping beats, and I was gasping for air. Students surrounded an area to the right, some blocking the entrance. I shoved past them to the front, ignoring the voices in my head. Hurriedly, I glanced around until my eyes landed him.

Seokjin had him by the collar, seething. But, unsurprisingly, Namjoon returned his glare with a blank gaze.

"You know how I feel about Geum Shin Anna. In my mind, we're already together. And you have the guts to try and get with her? I know you've been hanging out together," Seokjin said slowly, dangerously. "Don't think I don't know about her hanging out at your house. I only live across the street, Class President. I know you hit me because of her."

I froze, fists unclenching. This was completely unexpected. I thought he was angry about the punch, but this was so much more. Jin thought Namjoon liked me? Me? Finally thinking about this concept, I realized, Namjoon was the first guy who didn't like me. In fact, sometimes I felt as though he hated me. And for the first time ever, the thought was almost disappointing rather than infuriating.

But then a slow and steady voice sounded in the breathless silence.

"And what if I do like her?" Namjoon said, almost defiantly. "What if we are together?"

My eyes widened, and I could feel students around me turn their gaze to me. I tried to compose myself, show them I was unaffected or didn't really care about the scene. But I probably just ended up looking worse. And when Jin leaned even closer to Namjoon, I couldn't help but watch with worry. Should I help? After everything?

"Then you have two choices. Either stay away from her or go through this everyday for the rest of your high school career," Seokjin warned in a low voice.

Namjoon looked into his eyes. Everything was silent again, more so if possible.

"Do whatever you want, Kim Seokjin. You can't keep me from Anna. No one can."

A feeling ran through me, something I'd never felt before. More potent than what had gone through me that day I saw Namjoon's smile. This feeling ran to me core, to my heart. Instead of causing my heart to race, his firm and assured voice calmed my heart. And suddenly, I felt like I was more.

"Wrong choice, class president." With that, Seokjin swung another fist to Namjoon's jaw.

A terrible crunch sounded through the air, and Namjoon slammed onto the ground.

"Kim Namjoon," I cried without thinking.

Even as a hundred eyes watched, I raced to Namjoon on the cafeteria ground. He groaned, lifting himself up to a sitting position. I crouched at his side, trying not to look too worried. But I have a feeling there wasn't any change in my concerned face.