Chapter Five

☁︎

Namjoon

The rest of our first week passed by as quickly as it had arrived. And soon enough, it was almost as if summer break had never happened. Everything fell into a repeating pattern. I continued my duties as class president, Seokjin assumed his place as most popular boy at school, not giving up on gaining the most popular girl. Anna stayed cold and mysterious.

But not everything could be regularly expected. My grades soared as usual, except for one.

"T-tutor?! But, Teacher Park, school has barely started!" I exclaimed.

My teacher sighed and took a seat, motioning for me to do the same. But I couldn't sit, not at a moment like this.

"Namjoon, you're one of the best if not the best student in this grade. But everyone has flaws. And I want you to do as well as possible, as do your parents," he explained.

"But you haven't even given me a chance to show that I've improved! It's only been a week!" I insisted.

I knew I should have contained myself. But I couldn't help being upset about the whole situation. I would never sink to the level of being tutored. Especially not by another student.

"Kim Namjoon, listen to me!" Teacher Park raised his voice slightly, motioning again for me to sit.

I huffed loudly in annoyance and took a seat. It was a good thing the classroom was now empty. I was practically throwing a tantrum.

"I have given you a chance to improve! Did you not take classes over the summer break?" He continued.

I looked down, a bit ashamed with my attitude.

"I did, Teacher Park."

"And what did you get on the test today?" He asked me, despite already knowing the answer.

"34 out of 50 correct," I muttered.

"Now," he said with a slight chuckle,"I don't think you need me to tell you what kind of grade that is."

"No, Teacher," I said softly, closing my eyes for a second.

"Namjoon, I'm trying to help you. Obviously learning in a classroom environment isn't helping and neither is self studying." Teacher Park leaned forward and put his arms on the desk. "Think of them as study sessions with a fellow student. That's easy enough, right?"

I turned to look back up at him. No.

"I'll do my best, Teacher Park," I said quietly.

"I know you will. Work hard and you'll do great things," he assured me, standing.

I followed, ready to just leave.

"I'll find you a suitable...helper by next week, alright?" He said as I gathered my things.

I nodded and turned to the door, hesitating.

"Teacher, if you'll just give--"

"Namjoon."

"Sorry. Goodbye, Teacher Park," I said.

With that, I bowed and hurried out. With every step I took towards the exit of the school, the more emotional I felt. This wasn't good. I just couldn't have a tutor. It wasn't possible. I can't let them know. I tried not to imagine what my parent's reaction would be to my having another student teaching me. I shook my head at the thought. When I arrived at the school doors, I couldn't keep my fist from ramming into the hard metal of them.