Chapter Seven

☁︎

Anna

"So then I was like, 'Go ahead and give me your number, but don't expect me to call.' But I didn't say I wouldn't text!" Hye was babbling. "So now I think he thinks I'm or interested. Why are boys so stupid? Can't he see I'm playing hard to get?"

"Oh my gosh, he sounds annoying," I quickly replied with the words I knew she expected.

"Right?" She threw up her hands. "Who am I gonna bring to the festival?!"

I cracked a small smile.

"That's in like two months," I told her. "Why are you already worrying about it?"

"Two months is not long at all!" She practically screeched. "I honestly have like no time whatsoever!"

I shook my head and went back to gazing into the shops around us, as she droned on. Honestly, I couldn't even remember which boy she was talking about. I wondered what it was like to feel the need to always have a boy at your side. I'd certainly never felt that way. And if I did, it would be easy to find one. I sighed.

"Oh, let's look in here," Hye said, grabbing my arm.

I tensed immediately.

           ...new shoes, definitely. Aish,
                  why is Kyung such a jerk?!

We hurried into a small store that looked like it'd recently been opened. It had to have opened since we'd been here last, which was only a few days. I breathed in the scent of new clothes and fresh paint, feeling slightly dizzy.

"Ah! Noona!" A voice grabbed our attention, giving me the opportunity to slip from her grip.

I turned to see a tall brunette boy walking towards us excitedly. He seemed to be about a year or two younger.

"Oh, Jungkook?" Hye said in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

He stopped in front of us and grinned.

"I work here! Today's my first day!" He told her.

"Why didn't you tell me?!" She exclaimed.

"I was going to, but I didn't have the chance I guess," he said sheepishly.

Hye turned to me.

"Anna, this is Jeon Jungkook. Junghyun's younger brother." She leaned closer to me and whispered, "The one I was telling you about."

"Ah," I replied simply.

"Jungkook, this is Geum Shin Anna. She's my best friend," Hye said.

I gave Jungkook a half smile. He didn't make much of a response. Jungkook just stood there with wide eyes. Seemingly stunned. I sighed and crossed my arms. Hye leaned forward and nudged him.

"Huh? Oh!" Jungkook cleared his throat. "H-hello. I'm Ju-Jungkook."

I nodded as he gave me an awkward bow. This was the usual response. I kept my eyes averted from his. When I didn't reply, and he continued to stand there motionless, Hye grabbed my arm again. I bit on my lip.

            ...taking too long with his
                 staring. Oh, so cute!

"Well, we're gonna take a look around,"
she told Jungkook. "We'll tell you if we need anything."

"O-oh, okay, Noona."

He gave us another bow before shuffling away. Hye dragged me into one of the aisles, out of his sight.

"Wasn't he just so cute?" She whisper-squealed.

I smiled slightly.

"Yeah."

"You know what this means?" Hye continued as we walked.

"What?"

"I'll get to drive him here, too!" She said happily.

But her smile soon turned to a look of annoyance as her gaze shifted to something behind me. I raised my eyebrows and turned around. Jungkook stood at the counter and watched us--me-- with a slack jaw. Hye rolled her eyes and sent me a slight glare.

"What?" I asked defensively.

"It's always you," she muttered. "Ugh, whatever. Soon enough he'll be enchanted by me too."

I felt my face fall as Hye turned around again and continued to goo through the clothes rack before us. "It's always you," echoed in my head. Her words had been icy and bitter. Resentful. I wondered how such a boy-crazy girl had been able to stick by my side for so long. For the attention. I guess she all she wanted was to be noticed, even if it was through the guy noticing me first. I peaked over my shoulder to Jungkook again. I thought he was far enough that I wouldn't be able to make direct eye contact, but I was wrong. We locked gazes.

...pretty. I wonder if she likes
Gdragon...

I felt a snort slip through my nose, and I quickly whipped my head back around before he could snap out of his daze and see me staring. That was a first. Boys weren't usually thinking about what kind of music I liked. I looked down at the floor, feeling a smile creep onto my face. Cute. Hye was right.

☁︎

Namjoon

I stared up at the ceiling, trying not to think about what was to come the next day. I would have to talk to her about scheduling, I guess. I would have to make it a time where my mom wouldn't get suspicious of me doing something other than studying. During the school day maybe. I can't believe I'm thinking about this right now. Making studying sessions with a tutor. Not just a tutor, a student in my class tutor. Was that worse or better? I hated having unnecessary lessons from teachers, which is why I hated taking summer classes. But being taught by another student?

"Aish!" I cursed, throwing my head back against my pillow.

This kind of thing was just my luck. It was if the universe was trying to make it as hard as possible to get through high school. I just wanted to get away from my parents. I wanted to move out of the country. But what international school would take me when I couldn't even pass history?