Chapter Nine

☁︎

Anna

The first "lesson" was terrible. And pointless. All Kim Namjoon did was sigh and read through the chapter we were working on. I had no idea what I was needed for, not when he told me nothing. The only way I could have been useful is if he'd actually told me what the problems he had in history were. Exasperated, I also began to read through the chapter. Namjoon and I spent the whole lunch period in silence, just reading.

When the bell rang, I jumped and looked up. Namjoon was already packing his things. Without a word, he got up and walked out of the library. I leaned back in my chair and watched him leave, crossing my arms. I supposed I could have been more helpful myself. Maybe I should have actually asked what he needed help with? Well, if he actually wanted to pass, he would have tried harder, I pointed out to myself. I shook my head and also began to pack my books.

So far, there was already one thing perfectly clear in this situation; Neither of us wanted to be here.

☁︎

"So have you started with the study sessions?" Teacher Park asked.

I gripped the straps of my backpack tighter before replying. I should have known this is what he'd wanted to talk about when he'd held me after class.

"It was fine," I told him simply.

He seem dissatisfied with my answer.

"How was Namjoon?" Teacher Park continued.

"He seemed fine," I told him.

"That's all?" He asked.

I nodded.

"All right," he sighed. "You're dismissed."

I bowed and hurried out, desperate to get home. Get home and do nothing. I sighed as I stepped out into the hall. And when I turned to my right, I wasn't surprised to see a familiar face leaning against the wall. I let out a breath that sounded somewhat like a scoff, and continued past Jin. Ignoring him.

"I see you're still playing hard to get," he commented as I walked by.

Maybe he thought I would stop and turn around, to make a sarcastic comment or something in reply. Isn't that what people actually "playing hard to get" do? But I didn't. I didn't have time. I wanted to go home and forget about the awkward lunch I'd had, and push away the dread of having to do it again. But here was Jin, who was still at it after a week. When we'd first spoken, I wondered if I'd been too rude, too harsh. But his arrogant persistence convinced me I did the okay thing, even if it had no effect whatsoever.

I heard him scoff and jog up to me, for I was still walking briskly away.

"What exactly is it that you don't like about me?" Jin asked playfully. "I mean, what's not to like?"

I grimaced at his words, but kept my head forward. I prayed he would just give up, even if it was just for the rest of the day.

"Anna, you're so stubborn," he continued. "I like that."

These were the kind of moments that made me wonder what it would be like to be considered ugly. There were those plain, simple girls, who were only ever noticed for their personality, by someone who actually looked deep enough to see it. I wanted someone to look deeper than my perfect complexion and silky hair, to see the messed up, ugly person inside. Even if it meant being rejected for who I was, instead of what I looked like. I would just endure it if someone didn't accept me, even after seeing the real me, just because they'd actually taken the time to see me.