Chapter One

☁︎

5 Months Later...

Anna

I was already twisting my ring around my finger in anxiety. And Deum High hadn't even come into sight yet. I knew once I stepped inside the dreadful building, beginning my junior year, I would plaster a fake smile on my face and force my fingers to stay still. I knew I would greet my so called friends and laugh with them at the freshmen as we walked to our first class. I knew I would have to, once again, give everyone the Anna they knew.

I squeezed my eyes shut to stop the thoughts from continuing, and I realized I had stopped walking altogether. At least, I reminded myself, you've got more control now. I smiled bitterly at that. Yes, maybe I was getting better at blocking people's thoughts. But I couldn't help it when someone accidentally touched me, or looked right into my eyes. And I hadn't been to school in three months. So who knows if I'd actually had much change or not.

I glanced up at the sound of loud shouts and honking horns. The school gate was in front of me, and students were running and driving around like mad people. I sighed and continued through the parking lot. All I could do was pray that I wouldn't feel my head explode at the sound of so many different minds in my own. I bit down hard on my lips, and gripped my hands into tight fists. I reached the steps. So far so good. I slowly made my way to the large blue, open doors. Still silent. I made it to the threshold, now able to see the large, loud hallway I knew so well. I took a deep breath and stepped inside. And--nothing. My mind was silent. No insecure or immature thoughts of unfamiliar voices. No loud and annoyed echoey groans. The only noise was the physical noises that the students made around me. Slowly but surely, a grin began to creep up my face. It was gone. I'd finally learned how to block thoughts.

I almost squealed with joy, but couldn't stop myself from pumping one of my sweaty fists into the air. With a small shrug, I practically started to skip down to my assigned classroom. I'd always known that one day I'd be able to block it. From my first day in middle school, it had started to get better. Fewer and fewer thoughts of others would cloud my head, until last year, when it would only be the most prominent person around me who I could hear. But they never had completely stopped. Until now.

"Anna!" Someone yelled in a long drawn out whine.

I cringed and turned around. And as Hye ran towards me, I wondered if I could look her straight in the eye without hearing anything. Let's test this I decided.

"Why didn't you wait at the entrance! I was yelling at you!" She complained breathlessly as she stopped in front of me.

"Sorry," I said sheepishly. Must have been thinking too hard.

"Aish, you always zone out at the worst times!" Hye finally straightened up and caught my eye, I held my breath.  

        Freak.

"Anyway, show me your schedule!"

I felt a pang go through me. So it wasn't completely gone. Guess I could still hear them. I quickly pulled my eyes away from hers, trying not to look too hurt. I pulled out my schedule dutifully and handed it to her.

"Ooh! Same classroom! Thank goodness! And who's our president...? Kim Namjoon? Ew, annoying..."

Freak.

Hye called me that whenever I zoned out, so I was used to it. Mostly.

☁︎