Chapter Forty-Five

☁︎

Anna

Something was wrong with Namjoon. I could tell as soon as he got into the car. The boys greeted him happily, then continued to rant about whatever they'd been talking about. But Namjoon didn't respond with even a ghost of a smile. He just took a good long look at the faces around him, then slumped into the seat next to the window. I watched him carefully from the car mirror that was placed before me, since I was seated up front.

Namjoon just rested his head against the glass and closed his eyes. I swallowed hard, wondering what was wrong. But I couldn't ask him in front of everyone. So I grabbed my phone to text a simple message.

   "You're rapping tonight."

Namjoon stayed still. Not a sound or a buzz came from him, and I wondered if he even had his phone. Sighing, I turned back to the front.

I felt uneasy all the way to Ignis.

☁︎

"Oh! You guys made it," Yoongi said, looking genuinely surprised.

He'd jogged up to us a few minutes after we walked in. Hoseok strode towards him, holding out a hand for a high-five. I stayed beside Jimin, who was chattering to Jungkook and me about his girlfriend's upcoming performance. I narrowed my eyes in remembrance of her. But my annoyance faded as Yoongi looked towards Namjoon, who stood behind me.

"Yo, Namjoon-ah," he said carefully, his eyes serious yet a small smile on his face.

"Hm?" Namjoon murmured from behind me, his voice deeper than usual.

"I heard you're gonna do the rap battle tonight," Yoongi replied.

Hoseok turned to face Namjoon with wide eyes, looking apprehensive. I realized Hoseok hadn't told Namjoon that he'd signed him up for the rap battle Ignis was putting on later. Perfect. I'd been under the impression that Namjoon knew about it, but now, knowing Hoseok, I shouldn't have been surprised when Namjoon looked towards Yoongi in confusion.

"Uh, What?"

"The rap battle? You put your name down, right?" Yoongi replied, glancing at Hoseok with raised eyebrows.

"Eheh, Hyung, why don't you go back to get ready for your performance," Hoseok spoke up, ushering Yoongi backstage.

The two left the rest of us standing a bit awkwardly, as none of knew what to tell Namjoon now.

"What the hell?" Namjoon suddenly murmured.

I whipped around to face him, barely expecting even the slightest cursing from him. His eyes were unfocused, staring off to nowhere. He looked as empty as the day he knocked into me that first day.

"Namjoon," I began quietly.

But he ignored me, instead taking a step back and then turning away. He slipped into the mess of people that were grouped towards the middle of the venue.

"I should follow him," I muttered, leaving the rest of the boy's standing by awkwardly.

I hurried towards the crowd, but stopped suddenly as I reached the edge. It was slightly frightening, the thought of going through such a cramped area. Without Namjoon leading me. I wondered if he'd gone straight into the the thickest part of the club so that I couldn't follow. And the thought sent my heart aching. I clenched my jaw, ignoring the sinking feeling in my stomach. I just had to ignore them. Closing my eyes for a moment, I shook my head and began to shove through the dancing crowd.